FW Hitchhiker

emilybear91

Can anyone identify this freshwater fish? My girlfriend (petsmart manager) received a shipment of feeder goldfish a few days ago and this little guy was in there with them. My neighbor's FW tank had just finished cycling so we threw him in there. He came in temperate water, and appears to be thriving, very active and personable, and very hungry in his new 74° tank. I think his dorsal fin looks very bass-like... Very curious if this is a fish worth keeping, that we could provide proper husbandry to as it grows, and what other fish may get along with him. Anyone have an idea?

Tank2379

Looks like a Bass to me also- maybe a White Bass doesn't look like a Normal Black Bass to me... unless he is super tiny and hasn't develop the black just yet

emilybear91

He's about an inch long. You can't tell well from the pictures, but his markings are quite iridescent.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
I aint never caught a blue gill with mouth and tail like that just saying i fish all summer

Smith11

i catch these little tidbits with my cast net all the time, but that said there are many different varieties of bluegill, the easiest way to know they are indeed from the bluegill branch of the sunfish family is to check the gill area for the little black circle or sphere covering the gill rakes

madjoe

Premium member
i catch these little tidbits with my cast net all the time, but that said there are many different varieties of bluegill, the easiest way to know they are indeed from the bluegill branch of the sunfish family is to check the gill area for the little black circle or sphere covering the gill rakes
Maybe right i found one close but mouth still looks off heres pick i found

Smith11

yep, looks close, im thinking the difference is due to size. the one that OP found looks like a juvi, that one there is a full blown adult. That one also has the same anal fin, and dorsal fin with only 1 less spine than the recently found one