GFO Directly in Display Tank?

Grebex11

Hi everyone,

I recently had a large increase in phosphates causing an algae outbreak and some issues with my monties. I think this was due to a fish death that I didn't catch immediately as well as removing a good amount of Chaeto that was getting out of control. I would like to run GFO to reduce phosphates. The issue is that I do not have a sump. Is it okay to run this in a media bag in a high flow area of the tank? Any other recommendations for my setup?

Thanks!

Funlad3

Hi everyone,

I recently had a large increase in phosphates causing an algae outbreak and some issues with my monties. I think this was due to a fish death that I didn't catch immediately as well as removing a good amount of Chaeto that was getting out of control. I would like to run GFO to reduce phosphates. The issue is that I do not have a sump. Is it okay to run this in a media bag in a high flow area of the tank? Any other recommendations for my setup?

Thanks!
You should be fine with this! You'd get more efficient. interaction with the media with an internal or hang-on reactor, but a bag will work too (just a bit more slowly)