Heaters gone wild !?

PaPaBear

What would be your heater of choice?
I've recently seen some info on problems with the Marineland Pro Stealth heaters being unstable and crashing tanks.
I have a 250W in my 55gal. a 50W in my 10gal. and 50W for my pre-heat WC. All Marineland Stealth.......... Gotta say....... I'm kinda freekin out! :blink:

EyeReef

Ive always been a fan of the ebo jagers...pretty reliable heater in my experience
but I would go with a controller for the extra protection

The reefer

Yea I had this same dilema. I was asking a lot of questions but at the end I ordered my ebo jager heater and should come in tmw. Ibhear great things about them but like everything electronic there is always defective products. + 1 on the controller I'm gonna get a rkl mayb this week. To control heater,light, and pump

PaPaBear

Thanks for your input Mike.
I've replaced my heater temporarily with an old HOB glass unit.
I'll be shopping for a new heater in the next few days and the controller sounds like a smart insurance investment.
I've heard PetSmart may be giving refunds on these units, if so think I'll take the money and run.

jcarlilesiu

What would be your heater of choice?
I've recently seen some info on problems with the Marineland Pro Stealth heaters being unstable and crashing tanks.
I have a 250W in my 55gal. a 50W in my 10gal. and 50W for my pre-heat WC. All Marineland Stealth.......... Gotta say....... I'm kinda freekin out! :blink:
Marineland stealth heaters have been recalled.

You can take them back to the store you bought them from and get a different brand.

I actually heard that there is a problem with manufacturing in the most recent lots and causes them to explode.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103155-beware-marineland-stealth-pro-heater.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1676&bih=853&q=exploding+stealth+heater&aq=f&aqi=g-j1&aql=&oq=

I returned both of my 250 watt heaters and got new ones. Unfortunately, they only had Aqueon in stock in the size I needed. We will see how they do.

PaPaBear

That cracked tank is enough to send anyone into a frenzy.
My son has a 100W that just went cold one day but it's been working for heating WC.
Better take him to the store with me.
Thx Jake

PaPaBear

Think I'll be getting a Digital Heater Controller. Maybe the JBJ True Temp.
At the very least I think a temp alarm should be mandatory.
But they didn't mention that at the LFS.

PaPaBear

Just to update.
Returned Pro heaters to PetSmart today and They were quick to accommodate us.
Almost like they were waiting for us to show up.
Looked at replacement options and asked if they would do refund.
Left with cash in hand, no receipt needed.
Billy had a pro 100 that stopped heating while he was out of town, but started to work again for WC heating. Cost him a loss of some livestock.
My advice....take your Stealth Pro back NOW.

BradB

Premium member
Heater

Thanks for the heads up.
I returned one yesterday and got a full store credit.:a35:

ColaAddict

OK, which petsmart are you guys going to that's giving cash for the Pro's. I go to the one by me and all they are letting me do is exchange for the Aqueon. I preffer cash, so I can get a tru temp one that Petsmrt doesn't sell.