Help high ammonia problem!!!!!!!

Reef_Boss1228

Ok so I did the cardinal mistake of moving things along to fast, to sum it up kinda quick I set my tank up which I got from a close buddy who had it running so I took all the live rock and sand with it, waited a week things were good so I added snails and shrimp, they were good for about a week so I added a pair of clowns and a flame angel, they did very well eating and what not then another buddy with quite a lg setup was moving across the country so I took a fairy wrasse and some soft coral from him.. Everything again seemed to be doing well eating and swimming. The only additive I've used was aquavitro seed and one does of the fuel when I got the coral in there, not long after the wrass went in I lost the flame, thought maybe it got stressed because the wrasse took his cubbie hole but the. I lost a clown last night only a few days after. I'm down to the clean up crew and 1 clown and the wrasse plus the coral. I took some water into a local shop and my ammonia is high, they think it's due to the transfer of the live rock and sand having some of bacteria die off.. They recommended this refrigerated additive that helps neutralize some of it. Said it will get cloudy for a couple days but it's my only shot at trying to save anything. They said do not do a water change right now as that may make it worse... So my ? Is does anyone have any suggestion or ideas? Also would it be a bad idea to maybe have a friend with a long established tank take some of my stuff till I get the water back to normal? Thanks in advance for any help or insight

Venom

Premium member
Wouldn't be a bad idea for your friend to hold what's left till you tank gets back to normal. Do you know the name of product they gave you for the ammonia? If you do the transfer make sure you check your fish for parasites before putting in your friends system you never know.

Last edited:

Venom

Premium member
Hopefully the bacteria product lowers your ammonia level down quick if it was me I wouldn't chance it.

ColaAddict

let your tank finish it's cycle. whatever you might have in there might be goners due to the ammonia burn, but it wouldn't hurt to rehome them for now to a more established tank if you want to try to save them. Leaving them in the tank will probably just finish killing them. If you take out anything that's alive, wouldn't hurt to leave some dead stuff in there to help finish off the cycling of the tank.