Help with Calcium

alysak6075

My tank is a 54G corner and i have a few mushrooms, zoenthids, hammer head and a montipora

I also run GFO in a reactor (started 3 weeks ago).

So Im using Reef Crystals
params are:
Mag - 1360
Alk - 11 dKH
Calc - 200

I use BRS Calcium Chloride and i mix it using their 2 part recipe.
I dose 75ML ALK and 50ML calc every day 12 hours apart.

I dont understand why calcium is so low. If i dose more calcium (150ML) it precipitates and than i have to do a massive water change.
I do 10% water changes weekly.
My fresh water mix calcium tests are: 420 always.

(I use Red Sea and API test kits)

Can someone please explain why my calcium is so low? Any help would be appreciated.

Irsug1

Premium member
I would say reduce the amount of alk you are dosing and increase calcium. You don't have a ton of hard corals so your usage of these elements should be much lower than what your dosing. I would aim for a lower alk target as well.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I would guess that you tests are incorrect. That's really low and I don't know what would be using it up. Plus, your mag is good, so it shouldn't be precipitating.

wrasse

how do you dose?
I have had my drip line full of calcium hard deposit before and the calcium wasn't going through to the aquarium.

alysak6075

how do you dose?
I have had my drip line full of calcium hard deposit before and the calcium wasn't going through to the aquarium.
I use a measuring cup, so no chance of not dosing

- - - Updated - - -

I would guess that you tests are incorrect. That's really low and I don't know what would be using it up. Plus, your mag is good, so it shouldn't be precipitating.
2 different tests cant be wrong if i also tested my water for changing at it was right on the money

- - - Updated - - -

I would say reduce the amount of alk you are dosing and increase calcium. You don't have a ton of hard corals so your usage of these elements should be much lower than what your dosing. I would aim for a lower alk target as well.
I will try, thank you!

mishmaster

Your consistent reading of the freshly made saltwater at ~420 help me believe your test kits and methodology for testing is on point. Try not dosing for 3 days and test every 8- 12 hours and write down the results. You should see that for every 1dkh of decrease at most 15-20ppm of calcium but usually less(especially for your tank unless that monti is 15 inches across) will also decrease. If calcium drops but not alk, or vice versa, or if numbers climb even though you didn't add anything, that will help you narrow out the search for a solution.

It's only a bit more expensive but since you seem to have trouble, consider using a pre made two part solution such as reef fusion, its very exact and stable, once you get the hang of it then move back to the solution you make yourself from brs.

Also, alk and calc have to be dosed seperately in high flow, so wait a few minutes before you dose one or the other or they will precipitate and stiffen your sand bed. When i started i never dosed and my softies and lps did fine with bi weekly water changes.

Last edited:

alysak6075

Your consistent reading of the freshly made saltwater at ~420 help me believe your test kits and methodology for testing is on point. Try not dosing for 3 days and test every 8- 12 hours and write down the results. You should see that for every 1dkh of decrease at most 15-20ppm of calcium but usually less(especially for your tank unless that monti is 15 inches across) will also decrease. If calcium drops but not alk, or vice versa, or if numbers climb even though you didn't add anything, that will help you narrow out the search for a solution.

It's only a bit more expensive but since you seem to have trouble, consider using a pre made two part solution such as reef fusion, its very exact and stable, once you get the hang of it then move back to the solution you make yourself from brs.

Also, alk and calc have to be dosed seperately in high flow, so wait a few minutes before you dose one or the other or they will precipitate and stiffen your sand bed. When i started i never dosed and my softies and lps did fine with bi weekly water changes.
Thats great advice thank you!!! I should have thought of the not adding anything for a while and testing. All of my corals are small, thats why im stumped on this. Probably will do as you say and use something pre-made for a while.

Thank you!!!