Help with Melanurus Wrasse

Ever since I lost my six line wrasse I've been looking into other wrasses. I want a Melanurus (hoevens). In the pics below you can clearly see a difference in the two, and they are both considered Melanurus (per Google) What is the difference if any? I see these two variations in all my searches. Is one male or female? Or a different species all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooney190

looks male 's female to me....I'm not a wrass expert, but in my opinion, they are too similar to be different species, must just be different sex

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Ever since I lost my six line wrasse I've been looking into other wrasses. I want a Melanurus (hoevens). In the pics below you can clearly see a difference in the two, and they are both considered Melanurus (per Google) What is the difference if any? I see these two variations in all my searches. Is one male or female? Or a different species all together?

The top picture is a "super male" and the bottom picture is male.

Wrasse have more than just male and female colorations. We typically grade our wrasses into four groups: female/juvi, male, dominant male, super male.

tinman

i got mine from Aquapros and it looks like the first pic .. sold to me as Pinstripe melanarus Wrasse .. it did look pale like the second pic for the first few days but when it perked up ..wow its an amazing fish :)

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
I did learn something today!!!

Yes, wrasse coloration is interesting. The biggest difference is when the melanarus get 4+ inches they loose the pinstripes and look like the top pictures.

#theMatrix

Does the supermale coloration change if theres no female pressent? Is this for all super males? Like rhomboids...pintails etc etc?
[MENTION=764]Reefwise[/MENTION]

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Does the supermale coloration change if theres no female pressent? Is this for all super males? Like rhomboids...pintails etc etc?
[MENTION=764]Reefwise[/MENTION]
I have never heard of or seen a true XL Supermale reverting. Having a female or another wrasse present does sometime help turn males into supermales though.

#theMatrix

So if i were to get one of those golden rhomboids from reefwise....
It would maintain that amazing coloration?

For those of you with experience keeping a Melanurus, do you think it would be safe to add a blood shrimp or sexy shrimp to my tank? I currently have a skunk shrimp and other inverts and have never noticed any issues. Not sure if it'll remain that way if I add more

tinman

For those of you with experience keeping a Melanurus, do you think it would be safe to add a blood shrimp or sexy shrimp to my tank? I currently have a skunk shrimp and other inverts and have never noticed any issues. Not sure if it'll remain that way if I add more

i have a melanaurus and blood shrimp in my tank and never saw any issues ..

IMO Blood shrimps are a waste of money lol you never see them unless lights are off ..

1boatnut

I would be leary of putting a shrimp in with this wrasse.
Imo If the shrimp was present before the wrasse was put in then maybe
Also this wrasse needs a sand bed and prefers small sugar sized sand

Last edited: