How many coral frags should I start with?

GunkGunk

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and new to the saltwater side of this hobby. I'm getting ready to get my 46 bowfront reef tank set up but in the meantime was looking to get a few ideas on corals. I realize I'm way ahead of myself but just thinking down the road. I know patience is the key in this hobby. When I get to the part where I'm ready to get some coral frags how many should I start with? I'm not really looking to do sps at this point but just want to get some good starter pieces but the frags are usually about 1" that I've been seeing. So what should I get 1-2, 3-5, more? How fast do they grow? I've got 75 gpd rodi system so good on the water and been reading and researching like crazy for months now on just getting the setup so just trying to look down the road a bit for fun's sake.I know this is a very broad question I've asked but any info to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Smitty

Premium member
Hello and welcome to the site... Glad to have you aboard. When you're ready for corals, you can start out with a few soft corals (mushrooms, xenia, ricordias, leathers, zoas, palys). I's start out with 3-5 pieces for right now to get you started. You have to look at your budget to make that determination also. :)

lunacris

Hey welcome to forum. I started my tanks with a few like three four starter corals and after a while added more When ur ready I'm not too far from ya and have some mushrooms leathers and so on I could get u some corals.

GunkGunk

Hello and welcome to the site... Glad to have you aboard. When you're ready for corals, you can start out with a few soft corals (mushrooms, xenia, ricordias, leathers, zoas, palys). I's start out with 3-5 pieces for right now to get you started. You have to look at your budget to make that determination also. :)
Thanks very much for the info. Those you mentioned was what I was thinking also. I don't want to go spend a bunch of money on my first stuff only to find out the hard way I'm not ready for them. I believe that I've researched well think everything should be OK(I'm sure that's been said here before!) Thanks again

WeePee

start with leather corals, small mushrooms, and a toadstool coral. all are hardy, and all will grow fast in good or even average conditions.
simple shrooms will spread like crazy, though that can be very annoying when they detach from their base and just drift around the tank for a while.

GunkGunk

Hey welcome to forum. I started my tanks with a few like three four starter corals and after a while added more When ur ready I'm not too far from ya and have some mushrooms leathers and so on I could get u some corals.
Wow thanks so much for your generous offer! You are right around the corner from me too. I will definitely let you know when I'm getting to that point. Good to know there's help nearby! Thanks I really appreciate it

GunkGunk

start with leather corals, small mushrooms, and a toadstool coral. all are hardy, and all will grow fast in good or even average conditions.
simple shrooms will spread like crazy, though that can be very annoying when they detach from their base and just drift around the tank for a while.
That's why I was wondering about how many because I heard that some stuff will spread like crazy. I want to have multiple species and not have one or two things over run the tank. I wish I would have found this site sooner. It's nice to see what all the people in this area think

scotty

www.mrsaltwatertank.com

sign up for his newsletter thingy, I just did and he sends you a pdf to read, very insightful, especially where you are at in the hobby right now. it's not an end-all, but a definite start

his mantra "know your tank personality" is really clever and genius statement.

# of frags are all about space, and what frags you want. That's what sucks about this whole addiction, there are about 1000 different right answers.

you really can't go wrong early with a prolific grower though, too often i read on people's builds and the tank crashing because they moved to more advanced stuff too fast. you can always upgrade.................haha.

GunkGunk

www.mrsaltwatertank.com

sign up for his newsletter thingy, I just did and he sends you a pdf to read, very insightful, especially where you are at in the hobby right now. it's not an end-all, but a definite start

his mantra "know your tank personality" is really clever and genius statement.

# of frags are all about space, and what frags you want. That's what sucks about this whole addiction, there are about 1000 different right answers.

you really can't go wrong early with a prolific grower though, too often i read on people's builds and the tank crashing because they moved to more advanced stuff too fast. you can always upgrade.................haha.
Yeah I've been subscribed to Mr. Saltwater Tank for awhile now. Tons of useful info from him! Thanks for your info and thoughts

AC-WEB

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and new to the saltwater side of this hobby. I'm getting ready to get my 46 bowfront reef tank set up but in the meantime was looking to get a few ideas on corals. I realize I'm way ahead of myself but just thinking down the road. I know patience is the key in this hobby. When I get to the part where I'm ready to get some coral frags how many should I start with? I'm not really looking to do sps at this point but just want to get some good starter pieces but the frags are usually about 1" that I've been seeing. So what should I get 1-2, 3-5, more? How fast do they grow? I've got 75 gpd rodi system so good on the water and been reading and researching like crazy for months now on just getting the setup so just trying to look down the road a bit for fun's sake.I know this is a very broad question I've asked but any info to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks
I would wait for the cycle to complete, then i would try some easy softies like mushrooms, xenia, or star polyp.