Is my tank cycled

Ntech47

I have a 10 gallon saltwater tank. It's been running for a month now. Is the tank cycled? I can't tell. These are the results

04/17/17
pH: 8.0
NH3: 0.50
NO2: 0.25
NO3: 20 ppm

4/20/17
NH3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm

4/23/17
NH3: 0.25
NO3: 0.20

4/24/17
NH3: 0
NO3: 0.10

4/28/17
NH3: 0.50
NO2: 0
NO3: 0.10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ntech47

4/28/17: NH3 should read 0, are you doing phantom feedings or is it an anomalous result?
I have a clownfish in there so I feed him. My LFS recommended I put a fish in there to cycle it. I'm new to the hobby and the guy said that's how you cycle it.

pkajp

You should not be getting a NH3 or NO2 reading when it is cycled. They should both be 0 every time you test

Ntech47

You should not be getting a NH3 or NO2 reading when it is cycled. They should both be 0 every time you test

So what do I do? I'm using the API saltwater test kit.

pkajp

You just have to wait. You can speed up the process by adding some live bacteria like Fritz or Dr. Tims. Using a clown or damsel to cycle a 10g will take between 6-8 weeks usually.

Ntech47

You just have to wait. You can speed up the process by adding some live bacteria like Fritz or Dr. Tims. Using a clown or damsel to cycle a 10g will take between 6-8 weeks usually.

Thanks for you help btw.

How will I know it's done then?

xj_matt

Premium member
I have never used that one. I just set up my 140g and added 2 bottles of Dr time with live rock and I cycled in 4 weeks

goatous

Cycling with fish is the time tested and proven way to cycle a tank. Adding any of the bacterial starters is not going to hurt and may speed it up.

But it is not a race to see how quickly you can cycle a tank. Nothing good happens quickly, only bad things happen fast.

Just take your time and wait until your numbers are consistently good. I waited a month after my numbers looked good before I (SLOWLY) started adding permanent residents over the course of months.

Come up with a plan of what fish want to have and add the least aggressive fish first, to allow them to become established and comfortable. Wait a month and add the next least aggressive fish and so on and so forth. This will allow the tank to build up the beneficial bacteria necessary for the nitrogen cycle NH3 → NO2 → NO3. Adding the least aggressive fish first may prevent problems latter with the more aggressive fish picking on the weaker ones.

Good luck and take your time.

madjoe

Premium member
Using a clown or damsel to cycle a tank is a cruel thing to do.
So is plucking fish out of the ocean and sticking them in a glass box . Hell i still have my cycle damsels sobs survived hell so they earned the right to live in my tank

faisal629

I agree and have cycled my last several tanks with a piece of raw shrimp in a media bag.
IMO best method of cycling is using pure ammonia...
No fish to stress out
No raw shrimp rotting looking disgusting and causing algae issues

Deezill

Premium member
I agree you should probably get a bottle of the Dr. Tim's and use that. I love that stuff. it's great. Now I must say I have never heard of Fritz. I will have to check it out.