jbj k2 viper MH 150watt fixture

helitaiwan963

Hey guys,

I have a question on these. I'm looking into more cost effective MH fixtures right now and there is one up for sale on the local CL right now. Im not sure if it's anyone on the site but i'm interested in it.

My question is... would one of those placed over my 30" long tank have enough light to the sides of the tank? or will it be that the center of my tank be super bright and the sides kinda dark.

Thanks
Eric

ColaAddict

I would think that if you place it high enough, you should be able to spread the light. The hallides usually spread out pretty easy. Hopefully someone has one that you can borrow and test before you spend you money. Ideally you want to get the hallide/Blue T5 mix to get you a good growth spectrum and spread. How much is that viper selling for, I'm just curious.

helitaiwan963

i plan on taking out the nova extreme t5 light and using the MH light. then keeping the coralife 2x18watt fixture and replacing the 2 bulbs in there and getting 2 460nm actinic bulbs to use that way i'll have actinic and MH combo. That would be 36watts of actinic and 150 watts of MH...

The jbj fixture is currently selling for 100 dollars, i did offer up my nova extreme cuz the guy did mention he would possibly trade for another fixture for his 24g jbj nanocube.

Smitty

Premium member
It will work perfect for you...I had that same light fixture over my 29 gal reef (30 in) tank, before I upgraded to led's, and never had any issues of light placement. It lit the entire tank.