Lack of foresight = not enough room for sump

Forfend

I'm in the process of building a 29G for the office at home. There is a thread on RC somewhere that I'll xfer to here later.

As you can see the tank has become a makeshift clothes holder :lol:

An idea I had was to place the sump to the left or right of the tank and attempt to make a "bookcase" above the sump, another idea was the same principle but to have a TV mounted on the wall above and the cable boxes etc, on top of the stand...er reverse stand.

At the same time I have a 300g incoming and having the two tanks share a sump would be awesome but running PVC lines all over through a finished house doesn't sound appealing by any means in the present time.

Are there any creative solutions I'm not thinking of?

ColaAddict

I say sell this set up and get yourself a used JBJ or biocube. they are always on sale on craigslist and you don't have to use a sump as filtering is in the back.

Forfend

No thanks, I've fallen in love with this tank. It's so different and the height has so much potential for different levels within the column.

ColaAddict

How bout moving it next to the 300gal tank and make it a frag tank? you can still make it share the 300gal's sump. Frags look so much better in a small tank than putting them in your gigantic display tank and it's easier to feed them and make them grow faster to be transfered to your DT.
You can even make this small tank into a display refugium/frag tank -- how bout that? and it will be right next to your big tank. I think a display refugium is nice to look at, you can put all kinds of macros in there and because of the height, you can still place a frag rack towards the top.

Forfend

Was supposed to be a 10 gallon but that broke in the last storm. There is going to be piping and a pump for the closed loop system.

Forfend

Yep, the stand was originally designed with a 10g sump in mind. PetCo's $1/gal starts up shortly. Seems the consensus is too go back to a 10g and keep it under as originally planned?

scotty

with all the plans to tie into other fuges and stuff, i would just do a small sump under there, especially with no fuge, that would be easysauce.

you could also rig something up where you are putting 2 10gallons under there somehow, seems like a good amount of headroom on the bottom, if you were stuck on a fuge.

the flat back could do a hang on back, another option.

scotty

also you could probably put the pump(closed loop) behind in the dead space, i saw a guy rig up one of those catches you put under a leaking car into the wedge and put in in there to catch anything. that is of course if you are keeping it there.