Local glass shop recommendation for DIY project?

novanosis

Afternoon everyone,

I am looking to get back into reefing and wanted to probably build the tank myself but I haven't found a glass shop that does small things like this. Seems all commercial . Anyone have a recommended shop that would do something like this at a reasonable price?

Thanks for the help!

RuNvS

+1 Following- I have been interested in trying to build my own glass frag tank as well and hit the same wall, will be interesting to hear if anyone knows where to get glass.

goatous

Ace hardware will cut glass but they don’t have thicker glass.

I would look for a local window repair shop.

Figure out the thickness of the glass you require and put together a cut list and call around.

Some will be able to bevel edges if you want that look, but it will increase costs and you need to be very specific which edges of which pieces.

I’m well outside Chicago, so I can’t help you in picking a shop.
Good luck!

goat585

Administrator
I have a local hardware store in Dekalb that sells 1/4" plate glass for pretty inexpensive. I just buy it unpolished so the edges are sharp. I use a belt sander and smooth the edges out. Make sure you wear a mask though as you dont want to breathe in glass dust. I use this glass for sump dividers, aquarium dividers or Rod from Rod's food use to make some tanks from it.

I'm not sure I would bother making a glass tank. Glass tanks are so inexpensive your probably better off just buying one unless you want something super custom. It will probably cost you more to make one then to buy it. Your cheapest place is going to be hardware stores. Glass shops for me have always been more expensive but they polish the edges perfectly so if you are building a tank you probably want to go that route.

Deezill

Premium member
So my deminsions are below. How wide are my baffles supposed to be?
Gallons: 55
Tank Length (Inches): 48
Tank Width (Inches): 13
Tank Height (Inches): 20