Marino moss balls

Herbie

Banned
I just won 5 of these for 5.90 shipped! Anyone ever put them in a tank. PETCO sells them for 7 each!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FishBeard

I wanted to grab one for my little planted ghost shrimp / betta tank. The price wasn't justified @ PetSmart. They are supposed to be beneficial like growing chaeto in a fuge for saltwater. Make sure they don't get stuck in place, over time if they aren't allowed to tumble they will "flatten" out from their ball shape as they grow.

Smith11

I have a huge one 4 + inches in diameter, ive cut a few small peices off and let them float around these have turned into new balls

Herbie

Banned
It's MARIMO isn't it? My bad. I've seen big tanks with just these floating around. Very cool. I'm adding another PH to my FW tank to keep things moving a little more. I have a few other plants, so I'm sure I'll have to knock these free from time to time.
It's funny how getting into SW has reinvigorated my interest in my guppy tank as well. I have a strain of guppies that has been breeding for 16 years in a 29 tall (semi planted). It was a 101 biology experiment that I just kept running. Now some of the planted scapes I've seen make me want to spruce it up a little. I hope I don't kill my guppies by messing around because the tank is in such balance.

Herbie

Banned
I wanted to grab one for my little planted ghost shrimp / betta tank. The price wasn't justified @ PetSmart. They are supposed to be beneficial like growing chaeto in a fuge for saltwater. Make sure they don't get stuck in place, over time if they aren't allowed to tumble they will "flatten" out from their ball shape as they grow.
There were a bunch of 5 packs available with no bids. Shipping was 5 bucks so I bid .99 and won it. Seller was aquaticmagic. I'll post how they look.

Herbie

Banned
Maybe they'll swell up with water? They'll grow...
The bag is actually full of water. They look healthy. Good think it's only a 29g tank!! I sort of like them though. I have a feeling they are going to be spending a lot of time against my filter intake. I am also a little worried that my pleco might think they are scooby snacks.

Bwidner

Man those guys are little lol. I do have a question, I set a freshwater up for my neices for christmas this year and picked one up for them...I have seen stuff saying to perodically pull them out of the water rinse them off and "massage" any loose moss off them....should this be done?

How much was petsmart selling them for out by you fishbeard? The one in niles they were $8

FishBeard

Yea, they were $7.99 each, and only maybe double the size of one on those pics. I'd say for $6 that was a pretty good deal. They will grow pretty fast at that size and you'll have golf ball size in no time.

Smith11

They dont reall roll like you would expect, im probs gonna stay away from marimos for a while as it took 7 months to add an inch to the diameter. Ill probs do a full moss backround and some steming mosses on the sides to make a wall less illusion

Bwidner

Yea, they were $7.99 each, and only maybe double the size of one on those pics. I'd say for $6 that was a pretty good deal. They will grow pretty fast at that size and you'll have golf ball size in no time.
Oh wow the one's at the one in Niles were monsters then, judging from the picture the one I picked up was close to double the size of a golf ball

FishBeard

Oh wow the one's at the one in Niles were monsters then, judging from the picture the one I picked up was close to double the size of a golf ball
Those sound a little more worth the asking price. I would buy one at that size. It's only going in a 2.5g betta and ghost shrimp tank anyways, lol!

sarahwoods

One of my freshwater friends offered me a bunch of Java Moss. Can I use this in my Refugium or is that a no no?

Pufferpunk

If you want a blob of mushy dead leaves in there, go ahead. They're good only to a SG of 1.005.
Do you have a FW tank for it?

sarahwoods

If you want a blob of mushy dead leaves in there, go ahead. They're good only to a SG of 1.005.
Do you have a FW tank for it?
I don't have a freshwater tank anymore, just saltwater. I guess I will politely decline his offer for the java moss then! Thanks for your help! I am glad I asked! :)