Maroon Clownfish questions??

Mr.Ghostly

First question if it is normal for female maroons to once and a while shake there back tails and make big holes? Also the hole that he makes is only by the entrance of the cave that she likes to sit in. The other question is if there is a way to prevent this from continuing to happen? Lastly is it odd for the male to rarely swim around besides when he is hungry? Because most days female sits and the front of the cave while the male sits sideways on the overflow almost protecting the whole, But female allows the tang I have to hang out in that gave also lol

goat585

Administrator
It sounds like they are clearing out a nesting site. My spawning pair constantly is digging sand and moving around small rocks in the area they host. It is normal behavior and I don't think you can prevent them from doing it unless you throw some larger pieces rubble rock in the area. I have seen my pair actually throw corals out of their way. If they don't like it they will move it in my experience.

Mr.Ghostly

Gotcha yea its just a pain sometimes considering it got once to the point were it hit the bottom of the tank class and just makes a pile of unevenness

dtrm

:goodnight: I have the same problem, I pulled them from my dt and put in lower tank and still dig holes.

saltymike

I have the same problem but I don't have a pair. I can't put any type of coral within a foot of the anemone or he will destroy it. If I put anything in the rock work he will knock it down and if it's in the sand he will bury it. I should just get rid of the bastard already but he's been around for 6 years.

Mr.Ghostly

I wonder what would happen if i close the whole while he is still inside would he finally realize not to do that anymore lol

BooyahsReef

Try this. Move your wife's utinsel drawer. See how that works for you. Or walk on her Carpits with muddy boots. That lady is just tidying up a bit. It's part of owning clowns. Ever see a new mom's baby's room. Perfect

Mr.Ghostly

Try this. Move your wife's utinsel drawer. See how that works for you. Or walk on her Carpits with muddy boots. That lady is just tidying up a bit. It's part of owning clowns. Ever see a new mom's baby's room. Perfect
I know watch mean its just a pain cause she makes such big holes lol

nailbender

I was told that once they start to do that that they will never stop, so i got rid of my maroon. Had her for 5 years. For the past 2 years I've tried to replace her with 3 different pairs of clowns and none of them has survived, right now I'm clownless

Mr.Ghostly

Yea and now I added more rock work today and she has knocked it down at least twice so far hopefully she wont come tomorrow