Maui Snorkel/Dive Spots

PsychedelicNano.

Hey Everyone,

I am returning to Maui for the second year in a row because it was incredible. I found a couple sweet coves to snorkel in last time I was there. I dived at Molokini crater which was pretty cool. I am wondering if anyone else has been to Maui and if they had any secret spots or other fun activities to share.

Thanks,

Andrew

Herbie

Banned
Honokeana Cove is awesome on Maui. It has stairs right into the water and is awesome. The best dive in my life was the backside wall of Molokini Crater. It's been years, but look into Pauline and Mike Severns to see if they still take out divers. They allowed only 4 divers on their Boston Whaler and it was amazing. We even swam with a Whale Shark for about 15 minutes while it fed. When something spooked it it disappeared in a second leaving an amazing wash all around us. It is INCREDIBLE to jump into the water with an animal that is literally twice as large as the vessel under your feet. Thanks for sparking the memory! I'll have to dig out my old 35mm IKE Light camera housing prints.

PsychedelicNano.

Thanks for the tips guys. My favorite spot was just north of Honokeana Cove. It was called Honolua Bay and was amazing. There was also a Frisbee golf course in Kapalua that I plan on hitting up almost every day. Just gotta find me some Maui Wowie...Ha

dbpurkey

Have a great time. I have been a few times and went diving with Dive Maui Hawaiian Rafting Adventures on the North West side just below Ka'anapali Beach. http://www.goscubadivemaui.com/ They are great and never in a hurry if there is something to see. We also did the short hike to the "Blow Hole" that is fun. This hike is also north west about 5 miles past Kapalua.

If you are head south down by Makena, we did the kayaking trip around turtle town. http://www.mauikayaks.com/turtle_town.php

Again have a great time.

ghostman

Lived in Wailea/Makena for some time, and I have to agree with Herbie and PsychadelicNano, the backwall of Molokini and Honokeana are great dive sites. I saw the best variety of marine animals in those areas. Had a big manta ray "fly" over me and completely block out the sun:) For snorkeling off shore, you could do Black Rock by the Sheraton up by Ka'anapali or go as far as possible South in Makena by LaPerouse bay. There are some decent spots along Honoapiilani Highway by Route marker 12. Nothing else there, just pull off to the side of the road. Enjoy!!!

Jason R

I'm going there in November and can't wait. Do they let you snorkel on the back wall of Molokini though? I thought that was just for SCUBA diving.