Model Trains?

Wildisme

Anyone here do model trains as a hobby?

My son is Fascinated with model trains when ever he sees them. So for his b day next month I am building him a 5x3 n Scale setup.

It will be 2 track setup. First is a point to point starting at the base in front right, then travels around the outside of the table at a 4% incline and levels out at a 4" high platform in the back right. I'm controlling it with an AR-2 auto reverse board.

Second track is a simple over under figure 8 with a short siding under the bridge. This again is at a 4% incline rising 2".

The scenery will be 2 hills in the corners. Left will be a hill going down inside the figure 8. Then idk what else to put there. The right hill will be kind of the same only with a steep rock face where the train station platform will be. Then the hill will end in the figure 8 with a small cottage and a pond. Hoping to find a small dock and row boat, then I plan to put a small walking trail around the pond with a bench or two. The back wall along the point to point will all be the same rock face as near the train station at the top. The point to point will go into the hill on the left. The figure 8 will go through both hills.

The point to point is a bachmann trolley. The figure 8 will be a bachmann freight train with caboose. Then I have about 10 random cars. Most likely half of these will stay on the siding due to it being a small track and 4% incline.

Things I'm not too sure on.
If I should do my plaster cloth over all my track before building the hills up.
What to do with the left figure 8 or all of the space towards the front of the table.
Tips on mixing tree types? Different trees around the house compared to the hills?

I have been trying to take photos at each step I do. Started with a 4x2 and quickly realized that was too tight. Then stepped up to the 5x3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk