My 75g Discus Tank 01/11

FishBeard

I think we all had discus tanks at one point in time, I didnt directly, but my dad did when i was just a little dude, still LOVE those fish to death... I guess I just lost desire in FW since I started with SW. I want to go back and do a low profile planted tank one day thou.

Heidi

I never had a freshwater tank!! Man this makes me want one though. We have a sun porch that would make for an awesome planted tank (lots of natural light). This video and the pictures make me want one bad hehehe. Thanks for sharing looks like a very peaceful environment you are creating for those beautiful fishes!
Heidi

They are my favorite FW fish. I've never had them because I heard they were so difficult to keep and everyone who had them kept them in barebone sterile tanks. That was YEARS ago.....

Lil BamBam

Premium member
They are my favorite FW fish. I've never had them because I heard they were so difficult to keep and everyone who had them kept them in barebone sterile tanks. That was YEARS ago.....
Yup, it was the easiest way to make them grow and keep it clean.. My Alpa Male Turk was about 10" and was the oldest 9+ yrs.. Told the wife if I ever get tiered of SW, guess I'll go back to FW :rolleyes:

madjoe

Premium member
thats awsome man im actually thinking of shuting downmy 90 gallon fowlr tank and setting up freash water and was just looking into discus. how hard r they really to keep feed etc. what kind of filtration is best . substrate was thinking to use red flint with drift wood and fake plants dont want no headaches of real plants. and suggestions on getting started . it wont be for little while still have to break down tank and sell livestock. might use same tank might not its reef ready 90 gallon figured clean it all use vinegar remove skimmer and chiller rock and sand put new bioballs i already have might be good to go with this set up . what u think will it work or buy something else

Kendrid

I see a lot of talk about reef -> discus. I am switching from a 90g discus to reef tank. I've had discus for almost 3 years now and in the past six months half have been wiped out by a parasitic worm. When the worm exits the discus it is 3" long and 1/8" in diameter. I still have 4.5 left (4 adults and 1 juvi that we grew out) that I am going to rehome to a smaller tank.
We loved our discus but I can't spend more money on them knowing this parasite is still in them and nothing kills it (I've tried everything). I got a diagnosis on a discus site for the exact type of worm and along with the diagnosis was "good luck and get a flamethrower, you are going to need it."

Scorpio (still alive)

Blue Scorpion Discus by kevitra, on Flickr

Peppermint Patty (dead, my daughters favorite fish). The parasite ate a hole out of her through the side of the body.

Pigeon Tiger discus by kevitra, on Flickr

Blue, a female that successfully raised fry for me. Still alive although the parasite almost killed her. A last minute treatment of many meds killed off the parasite (for now).

Discus by kevitra, on Flickr