Mystery Coral ID

Activeangel

Hi, I have the name of this coral on the tip of my tongue but I quite remember it and google isn't being helpful.

It is an encrusting SPS, grows pretty fast, green with a highly metallic shine.
Also, it doesn't quite have the pattern/lines of a leptoseris.

Is anyone here able to help identify it?

View attachment 18195View attachment 18196
I dont have a camera yet to take great photos, but I will move it closer to the glass for a better photo if needed.

Activeangel

Haha, thanks guys. I've had this guy for several months now and he has increase maybe 400-500% in size. I try not to let any of my corals every touch, but I will be extra careful now. While I generally prefer a natural look in the reef tank, I glued a small piece of this coral to a plastic "The Mask (wooden mask)" decoration, which its already encrusting. Should be fun when it's fully covered!

If anyone else knows the species name, I'm still interested

Mr. Thingdoer

If it is a Hydnaphora Exesa, then my experience with them also showed fast growth. It's definitely an aggressive coral. I'd put it at least 6 inches away from everything else. Mine had some sweepers that were no joke.

It's not about letting it touch other corals, this is a reach out and touch you type coral. This guy will reach things you would think are way out of it's reach and has a vicious sting.

Activeangel

I really dont think this is a hydnophora... I have 2 types of hydnophora in my tank, this seems like something different. However, I totally agree about hydnophora reaching out and easily overpowering anything too nearby, and is also why i classify it as LPS. I have never seen any sweepers on this guy, and am 100% confident there are none longer than 1mm... leading me to group this as an encrusting SPS.

Here are a couple new photos that provide a better look. A bright photo to indicate it's reflectiveness. A dark photo to see the pattern. And a third photo where you can see a not-as-reflective patch; this is from where i touched it several weeks ago. The reflective part easily brushes off from a light touch, and slowly comes back. Nonetheless it is a fast grower, and may be about doubling in size each month.

View attachment 18346View attachment 18347View attachment 18348

Activeangel

Thank you; I like that you both seem to agree. Could you post a link? I've tried searching for different types of Psammacora that even remotely resemble this, and am not having any luck.

Also, I have a Psammacora tree, and it looks and acts very different. I don't have a photo, but I stole this from a quick Google search. Mine is much bigger, but it is very similar.
View attachment 18350

madjoe

Premium member
Thank you; I like that you both seem to agree. Could you post a link? I've tried searching for different types of Psammacora that even remotely resemble this, and am not having any luck.

Also, I have a Psammacora tree, and it looks and acts very different. I don't have a photo, but I stole this from a quick Google search. Mine is much bigger, but it is very similar.
View attachment 18350
I have psam to looks like this pic mine strted out encrusting only then grew branches . It dont look like hydrophorno only other thing it can be maybe is a green lepto

madjoe

Premium member
I just found a link to a Tyree Dragon Skin Leptoseris. Has anyone seen a Dragon Skin Lepto firsthand, and can compare?
Ive never seen a green in person but have a gold somewhere in simeones house and has same growth pattern now that i look and see the edges hang off like a chalice i do believe it is a lepto

Activeangel

Thanks again Madjoe! I will keep an open mind on it until it can be confirmed. But I will label it as most likely a Lepto.

As for a gold Lepto; I actually got a small frag of one from my friend! It's been growing moderately, and I'll def post photos soon. One of my favorite corals in my tank, for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

Danieldv6; is that a Psammacora?

Danieldv6

Thanks again Madjoe! I will keep an open mind on it until it can be confirmed. But I will label it as most likely a Lepto.

As for a gold Lepto; I actually got a small frag of one from my friend! It's been growing moderately, and I'll def post photos soon. One of my favorite corals in my tank, for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes..

madjoe

Premium member

- - - Updated - - -

Don't thank me yet the new oics looks like its starting to branch and as far as i know no leptos branch so with that said i have no freaking clue wtf that is now lol

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
Looks like Coscinaraea. It is pretty similar to Pavona/Leptoseris/Psammocora but the genus is often overlooked when ID'ing similar corals.