Need help, acanthophyllia (meat coral) just won't fully expand

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey guys!

So I have had my acanthophyllia for about two months now. When I bought it in the store it was fully expanded I mean it was huge. When I put it in my tank that night I expected it not to be really happy for a little while until it got used to things. The next week the acanthophyllia started to expel it's zooxanthalae through its mouth and started bleaching out in certain areas. It would even go a day almost every other day with its mouth opened up. I moved it to a verrryy low flow shaded indirect light area and since then it has expanded a little (been there for about 6 weeks), closed its moth but has not opened up completely. Also this thing refuses to feed regardless of what I try to offer it and I've tried everything recommended! I have had one of these before and it lasted a little while but then began doing the same exact thing as this one is doing to the point where it would no longer feed, its mouth was open and tissue began receding and then it died.

Online these corals are considered beginner corals but frankly that has just not been my experience. Everything else in my tank looks freaking awesome and my parameters are at the "desired" numbers. Finally I was doing some reading and read that sometimes these corals don't fare well in tanks with a lot of other lps corals because of the chemical warfare that goes on and due to the fact that acanthophyllia are very non aggressive that they sometimes succumb to this warfare. So today I decided to try out the last thing to remedy the situation, I added carbon in a pouch to the sump and also added a media reactor I am borrowing from Edin to see if I can bind up some of these malicious molecules that may or may not be floating around in my tank. What bothers me is that I was under the impression that only in small tanks would this warfare become a problem and this tank has about 150 gallons of total volume so what gives?! Anyways I will keep this post updated and let u guys know if my idea turns out. Also wanted to let u know that I have moved the acanthophyllia to an even more shaded area to see if that helps as I have noticed that the part that is shaded often expands more than the flesh that is partially exposed.

Below look at the pics of what it looks like during the day and second pic shows what it looks like at night. Last pic is the newly added media reactor that is in the sump area.

During the day: although it has t looked like this during the day for the past three days

During the night: taken tonight but had to turn on the lights to get a good pic

Media reactor added tonight:

Thanks and please share if you have had any experience with these large and beautiful meat corals!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
I placed the large maxima shells around the coral to give it as little flow as possible. For anyone that has had these corals u will know this is how they like it

nailbender

What fish are in your tank? I had one that receded to almost completely skeleton. Then I removed a coral beauty and it came back like nothing was ever wrong. Even though I never saw the coral beauty pick on it.

Rcunning8

Premium member
What fish are in your tank? I had one that receded to almost completely skeleton. Then I removed a coral beauty and it came back like nothing was ever wrong. Even though I never saw the coral beauty pick on it.
I have 3 wrasse, 2 clowns, mandarin dragonet, Randal's goby with tiger shrimp, starry blenny, blue throat trigger. It's actually looking much better today with the reactor addition and the movement to completely shaded area!