Need help with 1st test kit options

dalbright82

Whats the best value for the test kits on the market. I'm not exactly sure what i should be worrying about testing at this point. I posted a bit ago about my tank, 14g nano with live rock/sand and 2 clowns. Bought it setup water incl. just added fish 2 weeks or so ago. would like to in the relatively near future add some sort of coral/anemone/??? still trying to figure out what i like and what will work in there. Any direction for kits and what is most important in a saltwater setup is appreciated. If you've got a kit you're looking to sell (and maybe some frags or anything that could be of interest to a newbie let me know!) Located in aurora, but travel east to lombard daily if you might have anything.

Thanks!

jcarlilesiu

Right now, you need to be monitoring the basic cycle parameters. This includes Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

The cheapest and easiest kit for this purpose is the API Master Salt Water test kit.

You can measure the PH as well.

You need to pick this up ASAP, as this 'cycle' period is very important to keep the fish you already have alive.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=aquarium+cycle&oq=aquarium+cycle&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=98l1742l0l1781l12l5l0l0l0l0l174l458l1.3l4l0

Read as much as you can.

ColaAddict

I still use API, I think it's acurate enought and I compared it with hanna. In the future when you want to be super acurate, you can use hanna, but much more expensive. For now API is your best bet.

poidog

be aware as all test kits have expiration dates! Expired kits will give you inaccurate readings.

dalbright82

thanks everyone! I'll look into the API kits this evening. Appreciate the advice! Now to narrow down the coral/mushroom/anemone selection!

DB9181

+1 on getting a kit asap - even if the tank was previously set up, its natural to get some die-off during the transfer which could cause a mini-cycle. Also be slow to add fish - to quickly will cause spikes, plus in a 14g there's not a tone of room. What are your plans for livestock?

dalbright82

no exact plan for livestock. The 2 clowns are all on the fish end. Beyond that the plan is more along the lines of getting a variety of inexpensive frags and see what grows best. They're are a lot of really neat things out there, but i don't want to have to toy around with too many parameters for now or make special accommodations. Not quite sure how my budget lighting experiment is going to hold up or if it can sustain much...