new to nano filtration question

jonh5150

I built an acrylic tank that I figure to be about 18 gallons. I want to set it up on my dresser . I have a nice Par38 led to hang over it. My queston is what is a decent sumpless filtration method, I a going to keep a few inverts a clown and some softies. Im thinking a wp-10 and some type of hang on the back with chemi-pure and purigen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Milhouse

Premium member
I had good luck with a fluval c2 HOB filter in a ten gallon. You can probably use the chemi-pure and purigen in it although they do make there own ammonia remover and carbon filter bags.

Hope that maybe helps.

Neebles

I know a bunch of people will use/mod an aqua clear 70 and use it as a filter/ refugium....just google ac70 mods and something might work for you.

napereefer

I've had a lot of luck with just a deep sandbed, monthly 25% water changes, and taking it slow (took me awhile to learn that last one but worth it!!). I also run a hob but just use the filter pads designed for it and rarely ever rinse them out which has seemed to work well and provide nice subtle water movement at the surface along with the dual power heads I run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

I built an acrylic tank that I figure to be about 18 gallons. I want to set it up on my dresser . I have a nice Par38 led to hang over it. My queston is what is a decent sumpless filtration method, I a going to keep a few inverts a clown and some softies. Im thinking a wp-10 and some type of hang on the back with chemi-pure and purigen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Don't waste your money on Chemi-Pure, it's just carbon with resins that don't work in saltwater. The Chemi-Pure Elite is just Carbon with GFO and then resins that don't work in saltwater. I don't know a whole lot about Chemi-Pure Blue but it looks pretty gimmiky. You're better off just getting your own small media bags (Look at Seachem "The Bag") and filling them with Carbon and GFO at the levels you need. Cheaper and arguably higher quality carbon if you get something like BRS Rox.

I know a bunch of people will use/mod an aqua clear 70 and use it as a filter/ refugium....just google ac70 mods and something might work for you.
This is the best option if you want to add something on the back. InTank makes some great media baskets for the aquaclear filters that create an easy fuge and media space:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-50-Media-Basket-AC50MR.htm?categoryId=-1

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-Media-Basket-AC70MR.htm?categoryId=-1

I've had a lot of luck with just a deep sandbed, monthly 25% water changes, and taking it slow (took me awhile to learn that last one but worth it!!). I also run a hob but just use the filter pads designed for it and rarely ever rinse them out which has seemed to work well and provide nice subtle water movement at the surface along with the dual power heads I run.
Noooo, deep sand bed in a nano is a death sentence if the tank is run long term. Once that sucker gets saturated and toxic gasses build up it'll crash. That and a deep sand bed in a Nano takes up a significant amount of space. 25% water changes in a Nano aren't horrible but I would recommend smaller changes. Easy to swing parameters quickly in a small water volume.