nitrate spike

xj_matt

Premium member
ok guys i have never has nitates inmy tank i was haveing problums with p04 and now have them under control at .04 ppm now for my nitrates are at .80ppm i have 3 more fish and i only feed as much as they eat. i did notice that i do not have any more macro agle idk how it died off if some one can help me get this under control that would be awsome ihave a eeshops hob 75 thats on my 37 gal. here are my test resalts

salinity 1.025
nitrate .80 ppm
nitrite .00 ppm
ph 8.2
p04 .o4 ppm
ca 420 ppm
alk 9.1 dkh
mag 1100

jrpark22000

Premium member
API is quite inaccurate for no3, by the time it registers anything above zero, it's already high. It’s likely been high for you for some time.

superfish

I agree API is quite inaccurate. But I'm still using it for my mixed reef. Cuz I don't really need to know if my no3 is at 1.5 or 2.2ppm As long as it's in the acceptable range, I'm good.
If yours is 80ppm. You must have had this problem for awhile... The most efficient way is water change, if you have sand, then clean the sand is important too.

xj_matt

Premium member
I agree API is quite inaccurate. But I'm still using it for my mixed reef. Cuz I don't really need to know if my no3 is at 1.5 or 2.2ppm As long as it's in the acceptable range, I'm good.
If yours is 80ppm. You must have had this problem for awhile... The most efficient way is water change, if you have sand, then clean the sand is important too.
i cheked it about two weeks ago an it as nt reading and now i have this spike i did get a wrasse and he keeps turning over my sand bed you think that could bethe cause of the spike?

tinman

i cheked it about two weeks ago an it as nt reading and now i have this spike i did get a wrasse and he keeps turning over my sand bed you think that could bethe cause of the spike?
how deep is the sand bed and how long has it been undisturbed ?

Sparky312

Try taking a water sample to an LFS and having them measure your nitrates. You might have done the test wrong or it might be expired.

xj_matt

Premium member
Try taking a water sample to an LFS and having them measure your nitrates. You might have done the test wrong or it might be expired.
thats where i had them tested today, so after i got home i checked them with my test kits exp dat 2019 and my kit read 40ppm everything in my tank looks awsome noting looks wron idk whats going on i am going to stop tomrrow and but a new redsea kit and see what tht says

xj_matt

Premium member
i dont have any type of agel problume at all idk what cnould be the problum un less both test kits are not working