Nitrates in SPS/Mixed tanks

Hello everyone. I have a mixed tank, zoas, LPS and SPS. I've been running biopellets on my system for over a month. I seem to have found a good amount of biopellets to keep a consistent 5ppm of nitrates. How many of you truly run a ZERO nitrate system? I'm deciding on whether or not to add more pellets to bring it down to 0 if it will be better for my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Hello everyone. I have a mixed tank, zoas, LPS and SPS. I've been running biopellets on my system for over a month. I seem to have found a good amount of biopellets to keep a consistent 5ppm of nitrates. How many of you truly run a ZERO nitrate system? I'm deciding on whether or not to add more pellets to bring it down to 0 if it will be better for my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How big is your tank and how many ml of pellets are you running? They take a while to fully kick in, so I wouldn't call one month fully kicked in. Every horror story you hear about biopellets is because people run too many. I consider the directions on the package WAY too many. I recommend using pellets to assist you in keeping nutrients low, but don't treat them like a silver nitrate bullet.

I run about 300 ml on about 250 gallons and my nitrates climb up from time to time, but usually hover just above zero. You won't ever lock it in at a precise number because things always change.....feed heavier for a few days, don't change that filter sock for a few extra days, detritus build up in your tank, etc.

Ive been running pellets for over two years and wouldn't go without. They work well but are easy to screw up too. I recommend waiting a few more weeks before making a change.

How big is your tank and how many ml of pellets are you running? They take a while to fully kick in, so I wouldn't call one month fully kicked in. Every horror story you hear about biopellets is because people run too many. I consider the directions on the package WAY too many. I recommend using pellets to assist you in keeping nutrients low, but don't treat them like a silver nitrate bullet.

I run about 300 ml on about 250 gallons and my nitrates climb up from time to time, but usually hover just above zero. You won't ever lock it in at a precise number because things always change.....feed heavier for a few days, don't change that filter sock for a few extra days, detritus build up in your tank, etc.

Ive been running pellets for over two years and wouldn't go without. They work well but are easy to screw up too. I recommend waiting a few more weeks before making a change.
Total water volume is about 70 gallons. I started with a 1/4 cup of pellets (using Aquamaxx Biomaxx pellets) and added a 1/4 cup once a week for the following 2 weeks, which is well below the recommended dosage based on the instructions. So as it sits now I have a total of 3/4 cup of pellets. If I wait a few weeks and I'm still at 5ppm, then should I add more? I'm pretty consistent on my husbandry, cleaning/replacing socks, water changes, siphoning sand etc. I guess main objective in posting this is to know whether or not the community actually runs 0 no3

I never have and never will run 0 nitrate. Mine is always between 5 and 10, and everything looks great. I run refugiums, not pellets so the approach is different but the ends are the same.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Sometimes I get a clear nitrate test, bit it usually turns out slightly tinted pink. So, I'd say I shoot for as low as possible by keeping my tank clean, but get a boost from the pellets. I have very large dirty fish that eat a lot though.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
You'll be fine in the 3 to 5ppm range for sps. I've even seen some very nice acro tanks running at 20ppm although I bet the color could have been better if lower. The most important thing is to keep it stable at whatever you settle at and do NOT run at zero with pellets and sps unless you want to add a whole lot of other things to worry about and/or dose.