Nitrates

Choseneball

okay so I've heard of people basing their water changes off of nitrate levels. I also know that having 1-2 ppm nitrates is good for coral growth. I've had my skimmer has been off for 3 days and I have gone 3 weeks with out a water change . my nitrates are still at 0. complete 0. I use red sea test kit. I've tested twice a day for almost 2 weeks now. I few my fish twice a day. Idk what more I can do. I have been maintaining all my other lvls properly. is this an issue for anyone else? am I missing something? I am not worried about my zooxanthellae population. my phosphate is also at 0. I use the phosphorous Hanna checker and convert over.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

100LL

Do you have a refugium or are you running bio pellets? Any algae growing in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100LL

I had the same thing going in one of my tanks and had success when I started started dosing Red Sea reef Energy and feeding Coral Smoothly. I also pruned up my macro algae a bit and have started seeing my acros color up a bit w/ increased PE.

Choseneball

I had the same thing going in one of my tanks and had success when I started started dosing Red Sea reef Energy and feeding Coral Smoothly. I also pruned up my macro algae a bit and have started seeing my acros color up a bit w/ increased PE.

I am willing to try anything at this point. I never used reef energy but I do like red sea products so I will be giving it a try.

RuNvS

I am willing to try anything at this point. I never used reef energy but I do like red sea products so I will be giving it a try.

I use the reef energy myself and it hasn't done anything to get my nitrates up. I have the same problem nothing I do will raise my Nitrates I have been pondering dosing Nitrates but I have heard mixed thoughts on this....

Choseneball

I use the reef energy myself and it hasn't done anything to get my nitrates up. I have the same problem nothing I do will raise my Nitrates I have been pondering dosing Nitrates but I have heard mixed thoughts on this....
I was wondering the same thing but if rather hear some advice from more experienced hobbyist for doing anything I could regret

RuNvS

I was wondering the same thing but if rather hear some advice from more experienced hobbyist for doing anything I could regret

I started a thread a few days ago about the use of Stump Remover, look it up there is some good information from others on this topic. It sounds like if you go slow and don't use stump remover which is potassium nitrate you should be fine. It sounds like the consensus is Sodium Nitrate. But read my thread and do some other research on other forums as well. there has been a lot of success doing this.

RuNvS

Out of curiosity why are you trying to raise your nitrates? For me it was coral color as mine are not as vibrant as I think they could be but I also feed my corals with reef chili and reef energy to try to achieve this as well. I found the culprit last night I think though.......

Choseneball

Out of curiosity why are you trying to raise your nitrates? For me it was coral color as mine are not as vibrant as I think they could be but I also feed my corals with reef chili and reef energy to try to achieve this as well. I found the culprit last night I think though.......
it's at absolute 0. and it's good to maintain 1 to 2 for coral health. I'm new to corals. have had a few mushrooms, leathers and such for 2 years but I've started adding more slowly past few months and everything is alive and fine but not looking their best. not opening complelty. have to try something. I do feed them twice a week.

RuNvS

it's at absolute 0. and it's good to maintain 1 to 2 for coral health. I'm new to corals. have had a few mushrooms, leathers and such for 2 years but I've started adding more slowly past few months and everything is alive and fine but not looking their best. not opening complelty. have to try something. I do feed them twice a week.

I would tend to agree that a little nitrate and phosphate are a good thing as long as they don't get out of hand, how are your other levels? Alk, Calcium, Mag- How stable is your tank? How about your PH and flow in the tank?