no clue

Arthur

I have 125 reef tank. For the first 4 years I had 90g than I upgraded to 125. I keep alot of SPS, LPS softies. I have Acroporas, Montiporas, Pociloporas, Birds nests, Candy Canes, Clams, leathers, zoas and lot more. All doing great and growing. Have 6 fishes, lights- 4 54w T5 and 3 MH 150. Whenever I buy small frag of Xenia in 2 weeks is dead. This is an easy to care coral right? All dificult corals are thriving so what is going on?. Why? I can live without this coral but I'd like to find out why. The only thing i can think of is I use just DI not RO water, but why all dificult corals doing so good with that water. What do you think?Thanks. Arthur

ColaAddict

Can you tell us about your water chemistry and do you run carbon? I thought xenias are actually one of the most sensitive corals out there. they are often used to detect poor water condition. one time I saw my xenias slumped over and not pumping. I immediately did a water check and found out that my salinity was too high. so I keep them to give me early indication of bad water.

Logan 12

Your water is not "dirty" enough for the Xenia. Xenia is often found thriving next to sewage dumps and other pipeline exhausts containing dirty stuff we humans put into our oceans. Try dosing iodine. From what Iv found when I start getting clean water that has more correct ocean parameters my Xenia dies.

Arthur

That is what I heard from couple of reefers.It sounds strange, but this might be the reason.
Your water is not "dirty" enough for the Xenia. Xenia is often found thriving next to sewage dumps and other pipeline exhausts containing dirty stuff we humans put into our oceans. Try dosing iodine. From what Iv found when I start getting clean water that has more correct ocean parameters my Xenia dies.

Arthur

Yes I run carbon in my sump.
Can you tell us about your water chemistry and do you run carbon? I thought xenias are actually one of the most sensitive corals out there. they are often used to detect poor water condition. one time I saw my xenias slumped over and not pumping. I immediately did a water check and found out that my salinity was too high. so I keep them to give me early indication of bad water.