Onyx Clowns non stop fighting

bwidner1

My two Clowns have been fighting non stop of late, the last day or so the "submission dance" has been missing from thier fights. The larger one today was trying to jump out of the tank to get away from the smaller one, I heard several splashes from it jumping out of the water and landing back in. I got it out of the tank as fast as I could and it is in pretty rough shape. One gill looks very inflamed and very red, bunch of bite marks all over the body and fins. Since this happened at about 9:30 I had very limited options so I took a plastic container drilled some holes and currently have it inside of that in the tank. On one hand I know fighting is normal behavior of asserting dominance and saw it before years ago in a prior tank but neither fish was ever beat up this badly. It is a 45 gal jbj cube.

Looking for suggestions on if I should chance releasing the clown back out in a day or two or look to rehome one? They have been together for nearly a year and a half now. Feeding has gone the last week from twice a day to only once as my girlfriend usually feeds when she gets home from work, but has been on a work trip, while I don't think it's food related as it wasn't happening when I fed, I did want to throw that out there. Thanks for any suggestions or feedback in advance.