Pairing golden nugget maroons

Chad_Pedersen

Premium member
I came across a killer deal on these two so wanted to give it a shot. Ran into my BTA right away and seemed ok for a few hours.

Things changed and they turned pretty aggressive. Locking jaws and twisting. These guys are less than 2” but any chance they are both female? Maybe I made a mistake getting two that are so close in size. They stay at opposite sides of tank until they go at it for a bit. Some fin tearing is occurring as well.

These are in a 180 gallon reef. Other inhabitants are a yellow tang, purple tang, blue hippo, two pajama cardinals and 3 golden dwarf morays. No other clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carpetreef75

Premium member
Dayum son wish I had seen this sooner I would of grabbed them while I was up your way , just walked in the door from picking up Corals in Plainfield, Genoa, Naperville .Was going to stop at Goats & pick up a few clowns but he was busy today.
Bryan

AquariumOverload

Premium Sponsor
I came across a killer deal on these two so wanted to give it a shot. Ran into my BTA right away and seemed ok for a few hours.

Things changed and they turned pretty aggressive. Locking jaws and twisting. These guys are less than 2” but any chance they are both female? Maybe I made a mistake getting two that are so close in size. They stay at opposite sides of tank until they go at it for a bit. Some fin tearing is occurring as well.

These are in a 180 gallon reef. Other inhabitants are a yellow tang, purple tang, blue hippo, two pajama cardinals and 3 golden dwarf morays. No other clowns.

The best way to pair any maroon clownfish is to get one that is about .5 inch to 1 inch different in size. I also use an acclimation box. I put the smaller ine in the tank amd the large one in the box. I let the small one explore and get used to the tank then after a week or two i release the one from the box at night. Typically this method works for me. Occasionally the fish still fight bad and i pull the larger one and put in the box. Takes a little bit of effort but it works. In your case two similar in size its going to he way more challenging. Id still do the acclimation box method. I would intentionally feed one more than the other to make it grow faster to get the size difference. Then try to mix them. I have 6 pairs of maroons and this is the only method that consistantly works for me.

Chad_Pedersen

Premium member
The best way to pair any maroon clownfish is to get one that is about .5 inch to 1 inch different in size. I also use an acclimation box. I put the smaller ine in the tank amd the large one in the box. I let the small one explore and get used to the tank then after a week or two i release the one from the box at night. Typically this method works for me. Occasionally the fish still fight bad and i pull the larger one and put in the box. Takes a little bit of effort but it works. In your case two similar in size its going to he way more challenging. Id still do the acclimation box method. I would intentionally feed one more than the other to make it grow faster to get the size difference. Then try to mix them. I have 6 pairs of maroons and this is the only method that consistantly works for me.
Thanks! I think one of them isn’t going to make it, I’ve separated them for now and likely going to take them back to the LFS. Fins are getting pretty shredded and I don’t want any deaths.

I’ll likely go for another pair besides maroons lol.