Parameters good yet GHA problem

DanzReef

Can someone shed some light please... I have been checking my Mag/Ca levels as well as the usual ones and cant seem to get rid of my GHA. Its noting crazy, mostly on the return jet and on the sand bed with some on the back glass. Nothing on the rock anymore. Haven't needed to dose because according to my tests my Dkh is at 10.2 and Ca 450 and Mg at 1280 which is a bit low so maybe. 0 Phos,Nitrates etc. My pH is at about 8.0. Using RedSea test kits. Have a good size of chaeto in the sump to help as well. Am I missing something?

One thing I do also want to add is with the Ca/Mg tests I'm only able to fill the syringes up to 0.9ml then adjust to be at the 1.0ml mark, on the Dkh I'm able to fill to the 1ml mark before I have to adjust the plunger to 1.0ml if that makes sense.

fftfk

My understanding is that if you have GHA (which I am fighting with right now) it binds the phosphate into the algae and you get a reading of 0.

DanzReef

Well still fighting it, primarily just keep checking my water and physically removing all the GHA I can...

madjoe

Premium member
My understanding is that if you have GHA (which I am fighting with right now) it binds the phosphate into the algae and you get a reading of 0.
Yes u will get false zero reading because of the alage growth . The hair algae will asorb it and grow hence giving u zero readings or low readings . Kinda the idea behind refugiums and ats guving algae a place to grow out of sight if your readings were zero all the time u would have bo algae at all and your cheato would most likely die to . So the faster your alage is growing the higher your levels r . Dont let test fool u

Mjl714

I agree with madjoe, the tank is the real judge of nutrient levels. Do you use any gfo or similar to really steal po4 from gha? It works here.