Piano Moving Qustion-help

ColaAddict

Any Piano experts here?
Can you transport an upright piano and lay it down in the SUV without messing it up? It doesn't fit standing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irsug1

Premium member
I don't think that's a good idea. Probably best to rent a truck. You will need to have it re-tuned after moving it also.

Paulip

If you are overly cautious, it might be a good idea to tune it an octave lower it while moving. Less tension inside.

You can also make a call to a professional (piano?) mover. Or perhaps, a manufacturer.

Last edited:
I have moved ours twice, retuning us absolutely necessary. They are heavy and ackward. Watch the legs in front if you decide to move it yourself, mine has been in the shop for a year now because of that.

ColaAddict

How much does it cost to re-tune a piano. I'm a newby. Buying a used piano for my kids to start learning.

Sparky312

Less than a hundred bucks. If you're piano shopping, I wouldn't really recommend the one you pictured -- it is a spinet and the smallest/lowest quality of all real pianos. The size of the soundboard is important for sound and touch/action -- bigger is better kinda like tanks :)

I am an ex-concert pianist with performance degrees from Peabody Conservatory -- I'd be happy to offer you some advice/suggestions to acquire a good instrument for your kids. I'll PM you my number.

ColaAddict

Less than a hundred bucks. If you're piano shopping, I wouldn't really recommend the one you pictured -- it is a spinet and the smallest/lowest quality of all real pianos. The size of the soundboard is important for sound and touch/action -- bigger is better kinda like tanks :)

I am an ex-concert pianist with performance degrees from Peabody Conservatory -- I'd be happy to offer you some advice/suggestions to acquire a good instrument for your kids. I'll PM you my number.
Thanks for the advice. I'm only paying $150 for it, so I couldn't pass it up. My kids will be learning on it and they're young and that piano will take a beating, so I didn't really want to spend too much. They're playing on it and practicing will already be painful to my ears :) My next piano will be better quality.

ColaAddict

There are better ones in the free section of Craigslist, but sounds like its a done deal. Good luck! :)
Seriously! Should have known about you before! Let me know if you see links of good uprights. I don't mind trying to sell this for a better one. This piano was a pain to move too. So heavy. Professional movers were asking $380 to move. I just need an upright due to small space. Thanks.

kimberbee

Thanks for the advice. I'm only paying $150 for it, so I couldn't pass it up. My kids will be learning on it and they're young and that piano will take a beating, so I didn't really want to spend too much. They're playing on it and practicing will already be painful to my ears :) My next piano will be better quality.

Moving a piano like the one pictured is not fun. My mom has one like that she got for her 16th birthday party so of course, we can't get rid of it EVER. We have spent so much for movers to move it, and then tuners to re-tune it... We have moved it ourselves a few times and it's possible, but suuuuuucks!! Movers typically tack on an extra $50-$75 to move an upright piano in addition to their 4 hour minimum...

Moving a piano like the one pictured is not fun. My mom has one like that she got for her 16th birthday party so of course, we can't get rid of it EVER. We have spent so much for movers to move it, and then tuners to re-tune it... We have moved it ourselves a few times and it's possible, but suuuuuucks!! Movers typically tack on an extra $50-$75 to move an upright piano in addition to their 4 hour minimum...
That's why I am stuck with mine too, it's my wife's piano that she learned on as a kid that my inlaws got as a wedding gift from their parents. Its an old Chickering and a family piano so we had it restored.