Plumbing tube or hose ?

Sak chiher

Trying to set up DIY sump/refugium . Confused on the tubing. Some say PVC s gonna hurt the fish. Is tht true if it is what should I use.

soggy pocktets

I suppose if you were going to hit your fish with pvc or hose, the pvc would probably hurt more:)

Most/if not all/of us use pvc somewhere within the tanks plumbing with no ill results on the fish.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
The return pump would depend on what kind of set up you have for your sump. How high does the water have to be pumped? How many 90 degree elbows will you have? Are you going to use a valve to control the return gph?

I use Braided Vinyl Tubing and am so glad I did. I make so many changes that had I used PVC, I would have been locked into my initial design. Plus I think the vinyl decreases vibration and noise.

soggy pocktets

you should plan on using pvc cement, again, most on this forum have used w/out an issue. if you run high pressure through your pvc, the aquarium silicon would most likely not hold. I live in the western burbs and would be happy to help as well depending on where you are located..

Sak chiher

The return pump would depend on what kind of set up you have for your sump. How high does the water have to be pumped? How many 90 degree elbows will you have? Are you going to use a valve to control the return gph?
Around 30" high. Maybe 5 or less 90 deg elbow. Definitely going to use valve.