Plumbing

So I am newer to the idea of a sump. I have a 37g reef tank with a 5g sump. It is drilled and right now I am running a cheap pump at 225gph. The pump cannot seem to keep up with the overflow so I had to dial it down a lot. Should I get a bigger pump so that the flow in the sump is greater? It just seeems like the flow is so slow that I don't see much movement in the sump (which is where I keep chaeto and lr) what kind of pump should I get for this size tank?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

lunacris

Most overflows are rated just like pumps. For instance I have two on my 210 overflows I mean. I ran a mag drive 18 and it did the job. I recently switched to a mag drive 24 and it has added much more flow. I ran both at once but dialed the 24 down about half way. On my 75 with hang on back overflow I used a Rio 24 I think. It did fine. Gotta figure out how much flow the overflows will allow. That will allow u to match up a pump

lunacris

I just asked when I bought my equipment but I think most overflows are around 600 or so gallons ph. Depending on how big your pipes are as well as bends and such. I also added a splitter to break off the flow to two ends of my tank. All of this cuts back flow

kurens

i got 1inch bulkhead in my overflow(5x5 and 18 high) i made 1.25 durso standpipe and reduced it to 1inch,got valves on both pipes(drain and 3.4inch return)using ehiem 1260 on pump and works perfect on full open...tank is 100g

ColaAddict

Built in overflows don't count in this thread, because whatever comes through them is dependent to what your pump brings back into the tank. I think the OP is talking about a siphon overflow.

dtrm

So I am newer to the idea of a sump. I have a 37g reef tank with a 5g sump. It is drilled and right now I am running a cheap pump at 225gph. The pump cannot seem to keep up with the overflow so I had to dial it down a lot. Should I get a bigger pump so that the flow in the sump is greater? It just seeems like the flow is so slow that I don't see much movement in the sump (which is where I keep chaeto and lr) what kind of pump should I get for this size tank?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
I have a basement sump, and 4 other tanks plumbed in with a 75 dt. If you want to get that cheato stop by I think I will be home all weekend I pm my phone.

lunacris

Ok since it appears there is some confusion as t the type of overflow u got. Can u measure it and post pics. Someone probally has similar setup then we can get ya in the right direction