problem with MH

Superman92088

so my dad just bought a new dimmable ballast lumatek and he also bought a new MH bulb. we set everything up and the light blinks on for a millisecond then goes off. we plugged in the old bulb and it works fine with the new ballast. what could be wrong? could it be a faulty bulb? could it be the mogal socket? could it be drawing in to much power even tho its the same wattage as the old bulb?

Chris

bluethumb

Does the ballast have a brand on it? I may be able to help you here. I have encounter this issue before. Geissmen may be a better bet.

bluethumb

sorry didnt see the Lumatek brand. I have a 20k Radium bulb that should work. Its a little bit more than an xm bulb. let me know what you find

Raptorv205

Problem solved : I Bought a 175 watt XM 20k bulb, Tried it in two types of ballasts A magnetic ( older ballast ) & E ballast ( band New ) light would not fire up . Did some research learned about Probe start and pulse start, Its a probe start bulb. Brought the bulb to my LFS .They use the same kind of bulbs in there display tanks, he was kind enough to take his bulb out and test mine . No luck , I came to the conclusion it was A bad one!!!!! I notified the people I bought it from and they exchanged it with out any Questions at all . Got my replacement in the mail with a prepaid label to send the old one back Thanks Hello lights