Problems with Pajamas

pbarber

I bought two pajama cards, one is ~2.75in long and the other is maybe 1.25in long.
They are currently in QT and both fish are very healthy, but the larger one nips the smaller one to shreds. I separated the larger one by placing it in a hang on acclimation cage. I kept him in there a week to see if he would chill out but it didn't work and now he's back in isolation.

Does anyone know any tricks I could try? If he doesn't chill out then then I'll probably just take the bigger one back to the store/give it away.

I think that part of the problem is that the QT is only 10 gallons, and the big one might be territorial over the small tank.

This is my first tank and my first pajamas, so any tips would be appreciated.

thank you

carpetreef75

Premium member
I bought two pajama cards, one is ~2.75in long and the other is maybe 1.25in long.
They are currently in QT and both fish are very healthy, but the larger one nips the smaller one to shreds. I separated the larger one by placing it in a hang on acclimation cage. I kept him in there a week to see if he would chill out but it didn't work and now he's back in isolation.

Does anyone know any tricks I could try? If he doesn't chill out then then I'll probably just take the bigger one back to the store/give it away.

I think that part of the problem is that the QT is only 10 gallons, and the big one might be territorial over the small tank.

This is my first tank and my first pajamas, so any tips would be appreciated.

thank you
I believe the problem is the quarantine I have a Pajama that is the size of a silver dollar & been in the tank for years and wife brought a new pajama home the size of a dime and the first day he wanted nothing to do with the lil guy after 1 day they been the best of friends and dont leave each other side
Bryan

pbarber

I believe the problem is the quarantine I have a Pajama that is the size of a silver dollar & been in the tank for years and wife brought a new pajama home the size of a dime and the first day he wanted nothing to do with the lil guy after 1 day they been the best of friends and dont leave each other side
Bryan
How hard would it have been to remove one of the pajamas if it didn't work out? I'm hopeful that it will work out, but at the same time they seem like they'd be difficult to remove from a reef.
Also, thank you for the input. Your story makes me feel better about giving it a go.

Last edited:

pbarber

What about the mirror trick
He gets aggressive with himself then eventually gives up
I never tried that.
I ended up going for it. The aggression never stopped, but after a few stints in timeout (acclimation cage) the damage caused by the lager one ended. The larger pajama still attacks the smaller, but it no longer takes bites out of the fins. I figure that everything is OK given that they both appear happy and healthy.