Pumps for carbon and gfo

I just got ahold of two small reactors....now the question is what type of pump should I use for each of them? And could I get one pump and hook th two reactors together....like one one maxi 1200? Or would one maxi 600 per reactor work ok? Thanks

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

MMreef

I use maxi 1200 for my BRS double reactor,it works fine.You can put a valve between pump and reactor to be able to regulate flow.That's how mine is hooked up.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Yes, connect both reactors with one maxi 1200. Just make sure you get a flow connector.

I will try to post a pic of mine soon.

fastrc

If you have a sump with a return pump tee off main return line and put in a shutoff valve and a reducer and let the main feed them. It doesn't take much flow to feed reactors and 2 less pumps you have to buy or worry about! I went through 3 pumps then just started running it off my main zero problems now!

Tangency

You don't need much flow at all. 1 powerhead should be more than adequate for both reactors. I have a single powerhead (Max Flow: 18-108gph) dialed back and I still end up restricting the flow to reduce the media tumbling. If you plan on running Phosphate removal media I suggest two Ball valves to reduce flow. PhosBan or similar media needs much less flow compared to carbon or otherwise it grinds the media into a powder and will irritate tank inhabitants.

Something like this
Pump/PH > Ball Valve > Carbon Reactor > Ball Valve > Phosphate Reactor >