Quarantine Tank

P.Olsen

A QT tank is easy to set up, best bet is bare bottom so it will be easier to maintain, add some pcs of PVC pipe to provide hiding places, a HOB filter, a std flour light and thats pretty much it. You willl want to keep the params and temp as close as possible to the display so if needed you can quickly transfer and isolate or medicate.

Smitty

Premium member
+1 Phil...you could use a 10gal as your quarantine tank. The two methods of quarantine is hypo-salinity and copper, although the copper is better. The fish needs to stay in the quarantine for approx 8 weeks to kill the ich life cycle.

scotty

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Sponge-Filter-Up-gallons/dp/B0002602S2

soak the sponge in your tank for a couple weeks, get the bacteria, heater, put some flow if you want, but the bubbles from the air pump suffice. No need to make it fancy, and in fact, when your done, you can tear it back down and use only as necessary.

I have three from when my dad and myself were raising freshwater angels, waiting for when i need a QT tank.

P.Olsen

Forgot to mention, when/if medicating make sure to remove any carbon filtration used, it will reduce the effect or even remove the medication and if you medicate a display, you will need to turn the skimmer off if you have 1.

fastrc

+1 Phil...even though I'd suggest to never medicate your display.
Never mix equipment from a quarantine tank with your display because cooper from quarantine can get into display from equipment. You can clean equipment with vinegar bath with city water with chlorine it will get rid of the cooper in equipment but having 2 sets of things you use like salinity tester,nets,siphon hoses shouldn't be crossed from tank to tank.

SaylorsReef

Best filter to use is an Aquaclear because of the easy fit sponge media they use. They are like $5 for 3 of them.
I will only use Aquaclear filters on my seahorse fry tanks! They are awesome! The pump seems to last forever. Occasionally it doesn't want to start back up after I turn it off, but a good cleaning always gets it up and running again.

Aquaclear filters have also been modified into a HOB refugium for nano tanks! Got to love that!!!