Quarantine Tank

Shaun Mack

Do you think a Quarantine tank is necessary ?

How long do you keep your fish in the quarantine tank before putting them in the display tank ?

What is a good size quarantine tank ?

Thanks

I quarantine/dip everything some people have bugs and other pest and they don't say anything and if you don't notice them then welcome to the nightmare. I use a 20 gallon with just a powerhead and a couple pieces of 4 inch pvc for the fish to hide in. I quarantine for 4 weeks min.

Tangency

Yes.

Good practice is at least few weeks. Enough to observe them, medicate if needed, and make sure they are properly feed before they have to compete with the other fish.

I think the size of your QT depends on what you plan on keeping. For example if you plan on buying adult tangs... a 5 gal QT will not be sufficient. I have a small 5 gallon tank that I set up and tear down when needed.

Scarlett778

I quarantine/dip everything some people have bugs and other pest and they don't say anything and if you don't notice them then welcome to the nightmare. I use a 20 gallon with just a powerhead and a couple pieces of 4 inch pvc for the fish to hide in. I quarantine for 4 weeks min.
+1

If I did that from the get go, I wouldn't have gotten flatworms in my tank! Took 4 flatworm Exit's, many vacuums and water changes to eradicate them! Lol

mlreef

Do you think a Quarantine tank is necessary ?

How long do you keep your fish in the quarantine tank before putting them in the display tank ?

What is a good size quarantine tank ?

Thanks
I've always used a 40 gallon breeder with an emperor 280 and some pvc pipe. Hope this helps, Sometimes I QT 2 fish at the same time.

Shaun Mack

Thanks, I think I will set up a 10 gallon and keep the fish in there for 3 weeks.

So all I would need is a heater in the quarantine tank ? no skimmer ? no flow ?

mlreef

Thanks, I think I will set up a 10 gallon and keep the fish in there for 3 weeks.

I don't run a skimmer, but I do have flow, I also use a heater and keep it 79 /80. Hope this helps.

Tangency

heater -- yes
skimmer -- not needed
flow -- yes but no need to invest serious $. Try and find a used PH.

I recommend keeping it bare bottom and adding a few pvc elbows (or similar) to give the fish somewhere to hide so they don't stress out.

Shaun Mack

heater -- yes
skimmer -- not needed
flow -- yes but no need to invest serious $. Try and find a used PH.

I recommend keeping it bare bottom and adding a few pvc elbows (or similar) to give the fish somewhere to hide so they don't stress out.

Thanks