Question about Top Off water

finfan4

I think if you get your tank parameters in check then buffering your top off water is fine. When I fill my Brute trash can with new RO water it comes out neutral 7.0ph and I fully believe this was dragging down the ph of my display tank. I started using Seachaem marine buffer 1.5 teaspoon for 30 gallons of top off. once I got my tanks ph/alk/cal bacck in order, I havent encounterd that problem again. Now my numbers are kept steady via a 20% monthly water change. Im not saying anybody else is wrong, this just works for me.

finfan4

After reading that again I should clarify a bit. I used BRS 2 part to bring my tanks parameters back into balance, then started topping off with the buffered water, the top off water usually reads 8.4/ 8.6 ph and Ive never encounterd the ph or alk declines in my display since starting this practice over 2 years ago.

ColorMeCorals

I always get a kick out of all the views on this and how set they are in their ways. Its just basic math and a couple test kits. Once you figure out the magic you can save a lot of money. Every action has a reaction. What works for one may not work as well for another because every tank has its own personality.

ColaAddict

Well said there John, I think I'll take everyones advice and do some tests. I'll start with a Mag test tonight. I wasn't checking that before.

ColaAddict

Well I went and bought a Mag test kit, turns out my Mag is super low, using Salifert. Also bought Kent Tech M Magnesium to start dosing mag. thanks for the Magnesium check suggestion, Jeni.
Now my next question is if I slowly increase my mag, do I have to worry about my Calcium and alkalinity shooting way up because I've been buffering my top offs? I'm scheduled to do a water change this Friday, maybe I'll do it tonight.