Question on reef crystals

Lonelyreef

I have just started up a new tank and went with old reliable reef crystals however I'm noticing that the mag and calcium especially the Alk is pretty high when mixed to anything more than .025 gravity so I'm wondering if anyone is using this salt if they have noticed this same thing or do you guys just mix it up to .025 so all your parameters are in check

Smitty

Premium member
Yep...reef crystal does mix very high. I've always had high readings, and I keep mine around .025 too.

Lonelyreef

Yea if I go anything over .25 its way to much I know some guys around me are using kents but I'm not going to go that route yet

tmb22

I've used Reef Crystals for years since I started, and only switched to regular Instant Ocean salt as of a couple weeks ago. Before I switched to regular IO, I measured all the parameters of Reef Crystals mixed at 1.026 specific gravity. They are as follows:

Alkalinity: 11.9
Calcium: 475
Magnesium: 1440

I like the Calcium and Magnesium levels, but the alk is just a little too high for me.

madjoe

Premium member
I keep hearing this but ive always used reef crystals and keep mine 1.026 never had issues i use to keep alk at 11 with doseing since i boosted the light cycle ive dropped the alk to 8.5 with hanna checker and still need to dose to keep at 8 stays stabile too . How many gallon water changes u guys doing to make the alk jump? I use to do 10 gallon every two weeks ive been crazy busy and lucky if i do 15gal every two months lately but parameters r still stabile and sos actually growing like weeds since my hands r never in tank anymore lol

jrpark22000

Premium member
Doing 30gal WC weekly using RC on a 180gal system, dealing with the ALK is very easy. I just turn off the ALK pump the night after doing a WC. The one day ALK usage of the tank evens it all out, just ned to enable the ALK pump to dose the normal schedule the next night.