RBTA V.S. Maxspect Gyre

pat0588

I know foam covers do not exist for the gyre (as of yet) but how do you guys keep nems with a gyre. mine likes to wander since its a new addition. i came home and looked at it. it let go of the rock it was holding onto and i watched as it floated to the end of my tank and back. in the last second i realized it will be sucked in and turned my gyre off as it was sucked in. no damage to the nem whatsoever, but what if i wasnt home... :(

Rich130981

I know foam covers do not exist for the gyre (as of yet) but how do you guys keep nems with a gyre. mine likes to wander since its a new addition. i came home and looked at it. it let go of the rock it was holding onto and i watched as it floated to the end of my tank and back. in the last second i realized it will be sucked in and turned my gyre off as it was sucked in. no damage to the nem whatsoever, but what if i wasnt home... :(
I have a gyre on my 300 with 10 or so nems. Nems seem to like the flow and do not wander for me.

How old is your tank?

If your nem is consistently walking you might want to help him find a better place to call home. Look for a very porous rock. Nems look for an area with moderate to strong lighting, Steady indirect low to moderate flow, and Most important a place to hid. The porous rock will allow the nem to sink his foot deep into the rock. If threatened the nem can disappear into the rock. If you dont have a good rock where the nem can sink deep into then a ledge will also work. Hold the foot of the nem under the ledge so the nem can come out to grab some light. If threatened the nem can hide under the ledge. Once you find an area for the nem where he feels protected and gets light he should not move.

pat0588

I just bought 2 nems 1 started to wander and hide between rocks i moved it to a spot i thought it would like and it hasnt moved since. On the other hand the 2nd one has wandered between rocks. I keep moving it, but it seems to like to hide behimd my scape. Ill have to keep moving it until it stays i guess.

pat0588

I just bought 2 nems 1 started to wander and hide between rocks i moved it to a spot i thought it would like and it hasnt moved since. On the other hand the 2nd one has wandered between rocks. I keep moving it, but it seems to like to hide behimd my scape. Ill have to keep moving it until it stays i guess.

The nem will move if it doesn't like where it is, so even if you move it, it'll move away on its own. So just let it be, and it'll move where it likes to go.