Red Slim

SteveV

So after using a crappy RO/DI for months that was adding 50+PPM to my ATO and water changes. I upgraded my RO/DI. ZERO PPM.. Did a dose of Chemiclean. Worked but slim keeps coming back. Had NO negative results but don't want to keep dosing.. Not a big chemical lover! Started a batch of phosguard a couple days ago in a reactor. Using slow water flow. I am guessing the phosphate is still in my live rock?? Any ideas of how long it will take to stop leaching? or do I have another issue?

madjoe

Premium member
First off welcome to the red slime club. Second get ready for a long ride and all types of suggestions. Some will tell u your water is crap and u need to run carbon and gfo so u can clean your water. Others will tell u only way to beat it is make your tank dirty little contradiction going on but ok what ever lol. Then u will get try peroxide dosing . Some say lights out 4days. Some say peroxide plus 4 day black out. Now im on vibrant with lights out lol. So pick and choose your poison so far none have worked for me at all and all have there dangers of crashing the tank. Hopefully one works for u and hopefully u just have red slime and not the red crap i have what ever it is good luck and buckle up gonna be long ride

#theMatrix

With out photos or miscroscopic ID were all guessing the same as you. Youll ask for advice on something you believe yoube diagnosed so well give you advice. Then turns out you dont have what you thought you had. So we help more. In the end you may end up like joe.

Methods work. But with out proper ID well all just be throwinf stuff out there. We all gave joe ideas thinking it was cyano. Proven methods to help with cyano, but they wont work with dinos. So i feel joe may have had cyano turned to dinos. And then both.

Good luck. This goes with everything else in the hobby. Rtn stn white tips brown corals no polyp and with fish desease its worse.

Btw. Phosguard needs high flow. Gfo needs tumbling slow flow.

SteveV

Thanks for the feedback. I created this myself using a crappy RO/DI filter. I am just curious if anyone has any idea how long it will take for the live rock to stop leaching phosphates back in the DT?
Matrix, I have the top tumbling, should it be higher flow rate??

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks for the feedback. I created this myself using a crappy RO/DI filter. I am just curious if anyone has any idea how long it will take for the live rock to stop leaching phosphates back in the DT?
Lol so did i then added new sand and rocks also been few months already and im still waiting for sand to stop leaching if thats even the problem like everyone said its kinda a guessing game and it sucks. I will let u know if mine ever goes away the rock was branch rock that seems to be fine only coraline growing on it now mainly just the slime in sand bed now

#theMatrix

Is this a reactor? Top tumbling with the pellets switching positions from bottom to top? Basically you need high flow. And phosguard works quickly it also gets exhausted just the same. Its supposed to be switched out around 2week mark. And your really supposed to use a small amount. I barely have 1in of pellets from bottom to the 2in mark. This also causes the most movement.
If it clumps out. Its useless

SteveV

Just got back from LFS, had him check my results. He came up with the same I did which is .15-.25. He said that isn't bad. He said same thing as Matrix, change it out after 2 weeks and re load. Only been a couple days. He said I probably won't see much of a change for at least a couple more days. He recommended I wait a week. If the slim isn't a lot better do another Chemiclean but wait 3 days then WC. I will increase the water flow a little. Yes it is in a reactor.. But barely tumbling.

SteveV

Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia are zero. Salinity 35. ph 8.2 going to check Alkalinity and calcium but didn't think either would cause red sewage