Reef ready worth it

oceanfreak09

Oh I understand, no worry here, mine is all glued (pvc cemented) together. I can’t imaging not gluing the entire mechanism together.
The reason why you wouldn’t glue the standpipe in would be to remove and clean. I personally don’t have mine glued for that reason. Also in a power outage ,water has never trickled out of my overflow below my drain at the top of my stand pipe. For reference, My longest power outage lasted 3 1/2 hours so not sure if it would of trickled out after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

((FORDTECH))

Premium member
The reason why you wouldn’t glue the standpipe in would be to remove and clean. I personally don’t have mine glued for that reason. Also in a power outage ,water has never trickled out of my overflow below my drain at the top of my stand pipe. For reference, My longest power outage lasted 3 1/2 hours so not sure if it would of trickled out after that.

Yes that is the reason why I have not glued mine aswell. Along with have you ever had a fish jump in the over flow and had to pull it to catch him in the filter sock :)

Mjl714

Wow, I’m glued together. Mine would need to be unscrewed from the bulkhead to be taken out. My heaters won’t be dry docked.

oceanfreak09

Yes that is the reason why I have not glued mine aswell. Along with have you ever had a fish jump in the over flow and had to pull it to catch him in the filter sock :)
Yes, to funny,I have done that countless times with gobies! Except I take the sock off and add a 90 degree elbow with a short strait piece to angel over into a 5 gallon bucket.

oceanfreak09

And also today I removed my overflow stand pipe and supply pipes from my 150 so I could take a razor blade and clean the glass inside the overflow. That way I can see if there is anything that got into the overflow that I need to save.

((FORDTECH))

Premium member
My corner overflow preventive measures to keep livestock out looks like this:

View attachment 5992
Looks great but I have been hesitant about a cover like that on my tank because won’t that just give the fish a place to land out of water if jump up on top of there ? My 120 has canopy and with it closed fish can’t jump out to floor they just bounce off side and back into tank. Or they go into over flow. With lid like that the 5x I’ve rescued fish from my overflow would have been 5 dead fish instead. Again I feel you been very lucky.....
But if it’s working for you stick with it

Mjl714

Looks great but I have been hesitant about a cover like that on my tank because won’t that just give the fish a place to land out of water if jump up on top of there ? My 120 has canopy and with it closed fish can’t jump out to floor they just bounce off side and back into tank. Or they go into over flow. With lid like that the 5x I’ve rescued fish from my overflow would have been 5 dead fish instead. Again I feel you been very lucky.....
But if it’s working for you stick with it
You’re right, nothing is 100% fool proof, but so far, this has kept the fish in the tank. Perhaps you can’t tell, but I kind of tuck the netting into the lid.