Refuge ID help

dtrm

Not sure what this is, they feel like a sponge and are growing in my refuge and in the back of DT drain box. Keep or loose????????

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I have these as well. I always assumed they were sponges. They've never cause me any harm and I usually leave them alone. I'll scrape them out of my fuge and overflow when they get in the way.

Tangency

I know them as "Pineapple Sponges" and they are filter feeders dependent on silica levels in the tank. They are completely harmless. They should be self limiting, but if you're introducing silicates into the tank, you may have the population continue to increase.

kurens

i got them also from 3 weeks now.i found that they are Scypha sponges.
i got also lot of diatoms from beginning in my tank which is 3 months old now.does it mean i got to much silicates?

Tangency

i got them also from 3 weeks now.i found that they are Scypha sponges.
i got also lot of diatoms from beginning in my tank which is 3 months old now.does it mean i got to much silicates?
In theory -- Yes. Again, they are harmless. I have found they the populations seem to dwindle as your tank matures and with water changes. If your tank is older... Do you use RO water? Have you tested TDS? If you have an older RO unit it might be time to change your filters.

kurens

tank is 3 months old as my ro/di unit.i have done only 2x20% water changes from begining:)
tanks Jeff and sorry Eric to jump in your thread.