Repainting a steel aquarium stand?

Kamreefer

I just picked up a 150g shallow reef with a steel black stand . It connects and assembles through steel bolts and nuts. It has some rust spots. I am wondering how I would go about repainting it? also the screw are a little rusted should i replace them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I think the best way would be to sand/grind off old paint and rust; prime it and then paint it. I would also go with new nuts and bolts. At the minimum sand off rust, repaint and reassemble with new nuts and bolts.

wrasse

Will the stand be visible or not? Asking because if viability is not a factor you are open to more material to paint with after you clean up. You can paint with truck bed liner for a strong seal. or not have to worry about matching whole stand if tou are just going to touch up the rusted areas.

Kamreefer

I got a great idea from Reefcentral someone said to use Herculiner! but do i have to prime the stand before and how would i go about doing that?

wrasse

That's what I used on my steel stand.
I just cleaned it up and applied the Herculiner.
Mine is a welded stand. I would do what Trackfast says since it hast nuts and bolts.

carpetreef75

Premium member
I was thinking about it but they say the herculiner is just as durable

New nutz & bolts 4 sure , and herculiner dulls out and if you drip any saltwater on it will discolor . Just bought a tank that was on a herculiner stand and did'nt look as nice as a painted or powdercoat stand and left the stand and only bought tank & contents .good luck which ever route you choose to go
Bryan

Kamreefer

Today im cleaning the tank to prepare for buffing got this frag rack for free