Retro LED for JBJ 28 Nano

newnanoman

So I got my LED setup from Bill at reefledlights and retro fitted my compact flourescent hood... As much as I would like to say it was quite a project, in fact it was a quite easy change... From start to finish about 2 1/2 hours.... taking all the screws out of the light cover took the longest I think... Anyways, I took the flourescent tube out and the reflector which are just screwed in... Then I cut the plastic on the left and right side only of the former reflector area down as far as I could and left the screw mounts still standing... Much to my surprise with just a little shove, the new heat sink and Cree LED strips that Bill put together for me slipped right in to the space nice and snug... ran the wires that were already soldered on for me and connected the drivers.. put the glass water shield back on and I was done... Originally there was a bit of a concern about having a need for some fans to help cool the heatsink which turned out not to be a problem at all, seeing as how the original fans in the hood were not even altered.. It is definately a snug fit and I did have to loosen one fan to get the heat sink all the way down where I wanted it... It truly was a perfect fit with minor alterations and very little work involved... So anyone thinking of doing this I can only say,,,"no worries" .... it does fit....the last picture shows you ALL the tools I used with the exception of a stanley knife I forgot I had in my pocket...

The reefer

Looks great. Don't u need to upgrade the fans that way the heat from LEDs can exit the hood to prevent damaged LEDs?

newnanoman

The exisitng fans already were mounted to create airflow over the old flourescents and out the top of the hood... So the same is happening with the heat sink... What little heat is being held by the heat sink is now being additionally cooled by those fans... I took temp readings on the air flow out of the top of the hood with all lights on and after 30 minutes I had only 76 degrees... My house is at 72...

newnanoman

Hopefully tonight I will take some pictures ... I finished up about 15 minutes before I had to go to a meeting last night and did not have a chance...