Return Plumbing setup question

yman182

Hello,

I am working on getting all the plumbing together for my 270G DT and approximately 70G Sump. The sump is not underneath the tank, but located behind the wall that the tank is on. I was planning on using 2 cor-20 pumps for my returns. One was going to run a fluidized canister and the other I was planning to run my 50w UV Sterilizer on. The Sterilizer recommends about 1500GPH for algae control. I am estimating that the vertical head pressure will be about 4.3ft. There will be about 2ft of horizontal pipe and probably about 4-5 90" elbows.

I am starting to think I will not be able to push enough GPH through the UV filter to make it effective using the cor-20. Can anyone doublecheck my math or help me out with this?

I have a 1" return that I will be coupling to the 1.25" COR-20 output

I am thinking I have two options to remedy this.

1. I can get another, more powerful pump for my return and continue using the design I mentioned above. The only thing I can see that will be strong enough, I believe is the Abyzz.

2. I can get another return pump and dedicated it to the UV Filter. Currently the tank has 3 1.5" holes I was planning on using for the drain and 2 1" holes for the returns. I was planning on doing a bean animal style drain. I could use one of the drain holes and reuse it as a 3rd return for the UV sterilizer. I think this may be overkill, but I am not sure what other options I have.

I heard it is best to take water out of the sump and return it to the DT for UV, is there a huge downside to having the water get picked up from the refugium area in the sump, go through the UV and then drain into the return area. My sump is setup as follows:

DRAIN---->Skimmer--->Return--->Refugium

One of the return pumps T's of into the refugium and then the refugium overflows back into the return. This is a Geo AFR sump.

Thank you for any and all help on this.

Deezill

Premium member
The Cor-20 that is running the UV requires 1500GPH correct? One thing to consider is how far of a run will you do from the sump to display and or UV. Any 90-degree elbows?
you will lose some gph the longer the run not to mention those elbows. If you need 1500 gph you might want to consider running the UV on its own pump to ensure you get the desired gph. I am guessing because you need that much flow thru it you are or will be fighting off algae? First things first how far is the run from the sump to DT and or UV?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I’m sure you read the manual for the UV, but 1500 gph is a TON of flow for UV. I e always read that you want slow flow for max kill power, bu that could just be if you’re shooting to kill parasites? I imagine you’d still get great results at half that flow?

yman182

The Cor-20 that is running the UV requires 1500GPH correct? One thing to consider is how far of a run will you do from the sump to display and or UV. Any 90-degree elbows?
you will lose some gph the longer the run not to mention those elbows. If you need 1500 gph you might want to consider running the UV on its own pump to ensure you get the desired gph. I am guessing because you need that much flow thru it you are or will be fighting off algae? First things first how far is the run from the sump to DT and or UV?
I’m going to have a few 90s (4 or 5) and the run is pretty short 4ft. I’ve just read that getting that kind of gpm through the cor-20 will require 1.25” returns which I don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yman182

I’m sure you read the manual for the UV, but 1500 gph is a TON of flow for UV. I e always read that you want slow flow for max kill power, bu that could just be if you’re shooting to kill parasites? I imagine you’d still get great results at half that flow?
Yeah the pentair 50watt UV says that it needs 1560gph for algae control. About 260gph for protoza control. The tank is about 270 gallons.

I am still learning about all this UV stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk