Salifert phosphate kit readings

I purchased a new kit about a month ago. First test read zero. I've been testing just about once a week to see if there are any changes and still reads zero. I know that I have to have some sort of p04 in my tank as I'm starting to see some hair algae. Does anyone have any experience with salifert p04 kits? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky312

My advice is don't bother trying to measure phosphates because there aren't test kits available at the hobbyist level to get an accurate reading. Hanna is pretty much the gold standard, but even there the margin of error in the result makes it not that helpful.

If your phosphates are high you can bring them down with some combination of GFO, waterchanges, and macroalgae.

I grow macro algae like nobodies business, have a huge head of Chaeto that doubles almost weekly and a fuge that grows cyano everywhere, but my Phosphates always test at zero. Don't trust the test numbers, watch your tank. It may take a while, but you will know when they rise. You're already starting to see the signs. The advice above is spot on.

tinman

also another thing is we are always one step behind and are testing phosphates after the algae or chaetho or corals for that matter have consumed .. so we never get to see the accurate number ..

i used to test those religiously .. but havent tested them in a looooong time .. now i only test ALK almost every other day and cal and mag once every week or so..

if i notice something wrong or the pe missing i just setup to change water the following day and everything is back to good again

Mjl714

While I like the Salifert test kits, as far as PO4, I used to get 0 test results and still had gha, I then added gfo, and within a few weeks the gha was gone.

Mjl714

I grow macro algae like nobodies business, have a huge head of Chaeto that doubles almost weekly and a fuge that grows cyano everywhere, but my Phosphates always test at zero. Don't trust the test numbers, watch your tank. It may take a while, but you will know when they rise. You're already starting to see the signs. The advice above is spot on.
Agree, watch your tank.

Thanks for all the input. I have macro algae in my sump and while it's not growing like crazy, I guess it's just not enough to tackle the p04. I may have to look into a gfo reactor to find a good balance.

Thanks for all the input. I have macro algae in my sump and while it's not growing like crazy, I guess it's just not enough to tackle the p04. I may have to look into a gfo reactor to find a good balance.

I grow macros because they take up constant nutrients, yet slowly, and I happen to like them. I use Chaeto because it's growth allows it to respond quickly to increased nutrients. If my macros grow slowly it can be a number of things, but Chaeto is a very simple algae, all it needs are light and poop. It's easy to harvest which makes it about the best for nutrient export.

One of the reasons I'm really concerned is because one of my sps corals is browning, and another one is going pale (not bleached)