Salinity Low

Cubano32

Premium member
Hey all so today was my first time mixing my own salt for the tank since i wanted to be able to control my levels, and i should have waited for my Refractometer to arrive before actually doing my water change but i said whatever i had a hydrometer so ill try it...well amazon just dropped of my Refractometer and i just checked and im at .021, questions is should i do another water change to get to the right level or just mix some more saltwater in a 5g bucket and add it till i get to my desired salinity? thanks in advance.

Mjl714

You could slowly increase your salinity by just replacing fresh water evaporation with salt water. Do you have a bunch of sensitive live stock?

GugsJr

TeamCR
I would just top off with salt mix until you get to your desired level. When you're good go back to RO

Cubano32

Premium member
You could slowly increase your salinity by just replacing fresh water evaporation with salt water. Do you have a bunch of sensitive live stock?
No just a pair of flurry clowns that's it...and a few corals

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
I would just top off with salt mix until you get to your desired level. When you're good go back to RO
So I should shut off my ATO then and just mix up a 5g bucket of saltwater

Mjl714

Yes, shut off freshwater ATO, and begin replacing evaporation with saltwater, gradually increasing your salinity to desired level.

#theMatrix

Not saying u should do it.
But when I swapped tanks. I found out my system was hypo for 6months the corals were all doing great. As they had gotten. Used to the drop.
It was .021 and I decided to mix a quarter gallon at .064 and dripped it into the sump where the most flow. I eval about a gallon a day. I did this twice in a day to reach lvls of .026

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I would turn off the ATO and just let the water evaporate until you reach the desired level. Then I would add fresh salt water to top it off. The change in salinity would be slow but safer.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Not saying u should do it.
But when I swapped tanks. I found out my system was hypo for 6months the corals were all doing great. As they had gotten. Used to the drop.
It was .021 and I decided to mix a quarter gallon at .064 and dripped it into the sump where the most flow. I eval about a gallon a day. I did this twice in a day to reach lvls of .026
This may not be bad in his situation because he doesn't have much, but I'd test it every few hours. The safest way is the way I mentioned as others have. Just top off with salt mix

wrasse

Switch off the ATO and top off with salt water until you reach desired salinity then just go back to your RO water.

Cubano32

Premium member
Thanks all looks like everyone is on the same page so I just started topping off with saltwater prob should be done topping off my 5g bucket by wed or so since my tank is in the room where it's already suoer hot and humid so I get alot of evaporation ..Will keep posted and see how well it goes