Summer temp issues thread

fastrc

I got home yesterday to find my reef @ 94 degree. Dropped ice in overflows and let it melt to sump and cool off tank. Nothing seems to got hurt but a few things looked mad. Hooked up a chiller last night but took forever for it to brings temp down, anyone use a chiller? how cold do they get and how long doe's it take them to drop water 10 degrees? Anyone else get a surprise when they got home yesterday?

fastrc

My store has a 1/4 acre basement totally open and it stays like 60 degrees down there. Im running my 1000 gallon filter system and a 4 100 gallon algae scrubber down there, I think ill be ok on temperatures there.

Piscinarii

Fortunately we placed our aquarium in the basement which doesn't feel the brunt of the weather changes outside. Good luck gang on keeping that temp stable!

ColaAddict

Yeah, I just turned on my AC to keep ambient temp below 80, but my AC always takes awhile to kick in after winter, which is annoying for my Nano that's upstairs, now has a temp of 82 (I guess that temp is still fine, but a big swing of 6 degrees)

poidog

it takes a while to lower the temp that much... also depends on your water volume and the HP of the chiller. Be careful... do you recall my crash last summer due to high temps and my chiller's compressor not turning over (prior to me having a controller)? My tank as in the 90s and cooked everything.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
My tanks were a little hotter than normal and they're all on the ground floor. The temps were up about 5 or 6 degrees. AC immediately went on as soon as I got home.

Smitty

Premium member
Whoa!!! Sorry to hear that bro, but glad nothing melted away...same thing happened to me last year, and I lost a few corals and a clam. The high temps was a motivating factor for me to switch from MH to LED'S.

mr_z

Sucks I got my 30 gallon on the second floor heat rises ugh it's gonna be a challenge keeping the temp down when the AC isn't on good luck to all tho

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I keep mine at 78 and it's been pretty stable all winter. However, I just got home yesterday from a trip and my housesitter didn't turn on the a/c!! luckily it only went up to 81.6

fastrc

Everything is happy as usual tonight.Temp is staying @ 84. I try to keep reef at 80 and my breeders at 83. Only thing that was looking mad yesterday was a maroon tip anemone but the seabe was fat and all spread out like a fat women after eating a big cake and my colt coral was all wilting looking but is all spread out again.I turned on a/c last night because the humidity was so bad and keeping it @ 78 till i get the chiller looked at. Going to buy a second chiller tomorrow just for a backup.

fastrc

Luckily i run my ice maker through the ro system so i used about 15 cups of ice cubes in my overflows and brought down temp in about an hour.

EyeReef

I usually raise my temp a bit during the summer which will prevent a larger temp swing if things were to heat up. AC on all day here :(