Tangs

Shaun Mack

Has anyone kept or know of anyone that has kept a yellow tang and purple tang in the same aquarium ?

If so, how big was the aquarium and how did you/they introduce the tangs to the aquarium ?

I do understand that this isn't best practice and both tangs are of the same genus Zebrasoma and should not be kept in the same aquarium.

I saw a aquarium with both in it and the guy told me they have been together for two years. So that's what prompt the question. By the way, the tank was 90 gallon that I saw the tangs in.

FishBeard

Tangs are no different than any other fish aggressive towards it's own genus. You could buy them and they can end up both being chill with each other, one could be aggressive towards the other, or both end up in a constant war until separated. You just really won't know until you try for yourself or buy them already familiar with each other and not fighting. I don't think in this case that size of tank will play a significant role (assuming an adequate tank size they would need anyways). I'd say get them at the same time no matter what, and try not to spend too much on the yellow since your more likely to remove the cheaper fish of the two if they do fight.

SkunkerX

I've have a yellow and a purple that I've had for a just under 2 years now and they do great together. I bought them when they were very small I think both under 2 inches and I acclimated them both in the same tank and introduced them to the main tank together. I have them in a 125 gallon tank and the purple is about 5" and the yellow is about 4" the 1st pic is from Oct 2009 and the 2nd and 3rd pic are from today.

Pufferpunk

It'd definitely doable, depending on tank size. Of course, there are always those fish that just won't play well with others.

ColaAddict

as skunkerX wrote, if you have a big/long enough tank and as long as you place them in the tank at the same time you should be fine. Tangs are territorial, so as long as they haven't established a territory yet, you can introduce similar looking ones. I have seen many big tanks with multiple yellow or multiple blue tangs.

mlreef

I have both a yellow and purple and they get a long just fine. They were also introduced at different times, the purple was first.

AC-WEB

It shouldnt be a problem depending on tank size. Introducing them together would be your best bet.

Crooks

I have 5 zebrasomas tangs in my tank. I would of had more but I couldnt find another purple for a reasonable price and I did lose the smallest yellow tang.