Tank Shape

jcarlilesiu

Since we were starting to steal the other thread and derail his build, I have decieded to start my own thread here to debate the topic of tank shape and minimum swimming distance.

It was stated earlier that the length of an aquarium is more important than the capacity of water when determining the size of fish that can be housed.

Like everything in this hobby, every reefer is going to have their own theory and opinion. So, I wanted to start the conversation here, so all of the facts could be outlined.

In my own situation, I have 2 tangs in a 150 gallon aquarium. One is approximately 4" (Blonde Naso) the other is about 3.5" (Sailfin). The issue here is regarding the available "swimming space". My 150 gallon aquarium is 3 feet square by 27 inches deep. The debate revolves around what size tank is necessary to keep larger species, not necessarily in regard to capacity, but rather in regard to horizontal swimming space.

For instance, I have 2 tangs in a 3' long aquarium, which apparently to some is unacceptable. Yet, other reefers have a purple tang in a 4' long aquarium that is apparently "adequate", infact this person is often referred to as an expert.

So... is 3.5 feet ok? Is 4' the minimum? Why do we not consider depth, my fish can swim circles in my tank probably easier and more constant than swimming to the end of a 4' 90 gallon and having to turn around.

Mods, feel free to move all other posts from the other discussion here.

Pufferpunk

I have a purple tang in a 4" 90g (recommended tang-sized tank), yet feel it's too small for him & & offering him up FS now. Maybe if I didn't have so much rock, I would keep him. I feel it depends on the species. Some like to swim in circles or just poke around the rocks, while others prefer back & forth.

jcarlilesiu

I have a purple tang in a 4" 90g (recommended tang-sized tank), yet feel it's too small for him & & offering him up FS now. Maybe if I didn't have so much rock, I would keep him. I feel it depends on the species. Some like to swim in circles or just poke around the rocks, while others prefer back & forth.
Good explination puffer.

So what are your thoughts on the habits of the naso and sailfin? Of the tang species, which are the ones that need larger tanks for back and forth swimming?