Vinegar dosing

anarchy

Well I started dosing vinegar today. 3 ml for 100 gallons and I'll slowly increase. What parameters do I need to keep an eye on again?

sullyman

Nitrates and Phosphates. In my fowlr I was dosing 25 mls a day of vodka, doing shooters with my tank every morning, bringing it down slowly, my tank is pristine now, had a lot of Diatoms when I started. My fish can't swim in a straight line anymore but that may be the Gyre pump I added this week, they love the flow and are out much more often surfing the waves.

anarchy

I'm up to 10.4ml but I grabbed a foxface so I think I'm going to stop. Alot of the algae is gone I've been manually removing weekly

anarchy

He's still settling in so he hasn't touched any algae. I put an algae sheet in to make sure it was eating and he ate it so now just waiting

The reefer

Unless u plan to keep the foxface, I would still dose a small amount of vinegar. It will only help ur tank and keep nutrients low so Algea outbreaks don't happen. I'm at 20 ml a day in my tank.

Siebo

Premium member
Unless u plan to keep the foxface, I would still dose a small amount of vinegar. It will only help ur tank and keep nutrients low so Algea outbreaks don't happen. I'm at 20 ml a day in my tank.
Agreed! You still need to find a way the get the po4 out that is causing the algae. If there is no algae to consume it it will just get higher causing problems.

anarchy

The setup is a month old and I was thinking I should take the live rock out of my sump and turn it into a fuge

raul_vvr

Vodka would be better, vinegar is acidic, it may lower your CA, and Akl. I dose 12ml-15ml everyday but every tank is different.